What's new

How do you clean "oily" keyboard keys? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this is a weird question, but I thought maybe someone has experienced the same thing:

I have noticed that certain, more-frequently-used keys on my keyboard (especially the space key) have what looks like oily-smudges from prolonged typing.

How do you clean off these keys?

Thanks...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Try alcohol and a foam swab. They also make kits for cleaning your keyboard which are basically alcohol and foam swabs. :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Ar you sure it's an oily smudge? I find that a lot of my keyboards show wear where my fingers hit the most often. Left side of the spacebar is where I hit it with my thumb. The keyboards often come with a slightly rough texture that wears off overtime.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
The weird thing with my keyboard is that the oily smudges are all on the RIGHT side. Currently my YUIOP, then the HL and right spacebar all show significant buildup thats absent on the left hand.

I'm right handed, so I guess I'm picking up dirt more with that hand when I write/etc.

But yes, a little alcohol based cleaner should work (preferably when the computer is off)

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
cool, I will try these suggestions.... thanks...

don, yeah, it looks like oil/dirt build-up, not just a wearing down of the keys...

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Just pry the keys off and put them in the dish washer. :D :D :D :D
Nah, probably a bad idea. The hot water could melt them. If you are very good at typing and know how to type without looking at your keys, then pry them off, clean them with warm soapy water, dry them off, clean the keyboard before putting the keys back on. Get all that cat hair and what have ya out of there, then put the keys back on. You may have to pretend you're typing to know which key goes where. Also, open up Notepad to test it and make sure that key is right.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I kind of think of keyboards as disposable. I get about 2 good years out of them then just get a new one. Spending 20-50 bucks every 2 years isn't bad IMHO. WIth the new keyboards having those rubber or plastic boots under hte keys to provide spring, then tend to feel a little beaten down in 2 years or so.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The rubber "boots" usually can withstand 1 million key strokes.

The grime could be a cause of sweaty hands and dirt. Probably comprised of the same stuff that gets in the fingernails. If you wash your hands before using your computer this can eliminate the grime. I usually do this because my computer is shared with other individuals and my Dad gets mad if I leave "gunk" on the mouse and keys.

I just use a moist rag and soap.

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips...
Oh, I forgot to mention that this keyboard is on a laptop so I can't really easily pop the keys off, etc. :D
I will try some mild soap and a cloth... and I will wash my hands more often. :b

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
You can look into buying one of those plastic keyboard cover thingies. I don't know if they make them for laptops.
EDIT:
I found this company:
Link Removed
I hope this problem isn't related to the websites you visit!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks