What's new

How do I send audio source thru mic input? (1 Viewer)

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hello!
I have this minisystem that I would like to hook up to my computer as I sometimes watch movies on it. I want to use the minisystem for sound because the speakers are much better than the computer speakers I currently have.
Unfortunately, the minisystem doesn't have any RCA inputs(!!!) and only has a single mic input.
Naturally I tried hooking up my computer thru this mic input and got some very loud nasty distortion when I tried to play anything thru this setup.
My question is: is there some kind of attenuator or device that will work between an audio source and a mic input so that the audio levels are correct and thus be able to output the sound properly?
Thanks
Andy

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Well since your minisystem do not have any RCA inputs it
probably cannot be hooked to your computer. As for the mic
in your minisystem it must be for recording purposes only.

Check the ops manual of your minisystem I could be
wrong. Hope this helps.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Are you handy with a soldering iron?
If so you can make your own attenuator.
Get a cable with one end that fits the microphone input jack and the other end(s) connect to the source device.
Cut the cable in half.
Get a potentiometer (pot) from Radio Shack (hobbyists' parts department) that is twice the impedance specified for the mic. input (I suggest 100,000 ohms if you don't know the input imedance). (For stereo get two pots)
Strip some insulation from the cut ends that were once the middle of the cable. Connect the braids of both cable ends to one side terminal of a pot. Connect the center conductor from the source end to the other side terminal of the pot. Connect the center conductor from the mic. input end to the center terminal of the pot. Repeat using the other pot for the other stereo channel. If the cable was a stereo cable, there may be two center conductors but only one braid. Use a jumper wire since the braids from both cable ends have to connect to both pots.
Now you can adjust the pot to get the proper sound level that does not cause distortion.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi,
Talk about reviving an old thread but I've finally decided to give this a try but I'm a but I'm not totally clear about what I need to do.
Is it at all possible to draw a simple diagram for me or if someone else could simplify it?
Thanks
Andy

The cable I would be using would have mic connectors on both ends...will that still carry stereo info?

After looking at a POT, I think I sort of get it. But I would still appreciate any felt from the more advanced electronics people out there.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I wouldn't recommend this. What wasn't mentioned is that your sound output from the computer is stereo and the mic input is mono. If you are not really handy with electronics, don't even attempt this.

Do a web search for an FM modulator. This will take the computer stereo output and modulate it so that you can receive the signal on your FM tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks