What's new

How do I remove the protective screen on 57h82? (1 Viewer)

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of getting the 57h82 and was wondering how hard it is to remove the screen shield. I've seen posts that it will help the quality and reduce glare, but don't recall any saying how it is removed....

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Removing the glare screen on these sets is more difficult than most, but definately something that can be done by anyone.

Basically, you need to remove the screen bezel (remove the speaker grill and the screws for the screen). Then remove all of the screen layers and take out the glare screen, put the screen layers back in the bezel and place 1/4" weatherstriping on the inside of the bezel to fill the missing space and prevent sagging of the screen. Put the screen on and your done. Just be careful when you do this, some things can go wrong or break and they will not be covered under warranty.

Best of luck,

David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Jay,

I'd recommend replacing the glare screen with a piece of non-glare acrylic. This will protect your expensive lenticular screen and give no more glare than the lenticular screen itself causes, and you won't need to do the weather-stripping thing since the thickness will be the same.

You should be able to get a piece of non-glare acrylic from a plastics store, cut to size, for about $50.

I did this with my set. It was a slow, painstaking process that involved removing a lot of screws and dealing with delicate screens very carefully, but it wasn't technically challenging.

Jan

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of going that route. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a plastics place around here (Orlando, Fl)... How does this fix compare to the screen you get with the HDX? Will it be better?

Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks