What's new

How do I pick DVD's so that they view optimally on my 42H82? (1 Viewer)

Vic_P

Agent
In other words, What type of movies do I buy so that there is no adjusting to be done?

So far I have tried Monsters Inc and Behind Enemy Lines and they both needed some sort of zooming done.

The Behind Enemy Lines says that it is Anamorphic...ummm OK, I give...what the heck does that mean?

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
First, your DVD player should be set to output a 16:9 signal. For anamporphic DVDs, like Monster's Inc and Behind Enemy Lines, set the tv to full. If a movie is not anamporphic, set it to tw2 mode. Some movies will still have black bars as they are of an aspect ratio of approx. 2.35.1 There is always some adjusting but that means a press of a button. Anamporphic discs are worth the press or two because they look fantastic.

HDTV's standard ratio is 1.78:1 so DVDs like Toy Story and I believe Monster's Inc. should look perfect in "full" mode. 1.85:1 will also look good in full mode. I'm not a big fan of 2.35:1 and it's black bars on my 16:9 set but I guess it pleases the director (as if)..

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Elliott is right: You need to set your DVD player to 16:9 or widescreen. Once you do this, any DVD marked "enhanced for widescreen TVs" or "enhanced for 16:9 TVs" or "anamorphic" (which are all the same thing) will work with the "full" mode.
If the DVD is widescreen but appears with bars on all sides, it's not enhanced/anamorphic and you'll need to zoom in on it.
DVDs labeled "fullscreen" should not be played on the 42H82. :)
Jan

I've had my DVD player set to 16:9 and have had an Enhanced For Widescreen and Anamorphic DVD still have horizontal bars in Full mode on my Tosh 65H80. Am I missing something?

Jeff Richard

Auditioning
If the DVD aspect ratio is 2.35:1, you will see black bars on both the top and bottom.

It's not your TV it's just the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks