What's new

How do I know if my receiver can handle my speakers? (1 Viewer)

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard that an underpowered receiver can damage your speakers.

I currently have a Kenwood 1080VR Dolby Digital : Front 120w + 120w, Center 120w, Surround 60w + 60w

I just ordered PSB Image 5T Fronts and the 9C center speaker. Which have a Recommended input power of 10 - 175 watts. Impedance is 6ohm nominal and 4ohm minimum. I'm using infinity minuettes for the surrounds.

I am looking to upgrade my receiver later this year but I would hate to damage my speakers using them with a weak receiver. Can anyone tell me if I'm ok with my current receiver?

Keith Outhouse

Stunt Coordinator
That should be quite adequate for the power. Just use your ears... an underpowered amp won't fry speakers without producing distortion first. If it sounds clean your safe.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
one reason an underpowered amp can damage a speaker is related to what happens to the audio signal when it's pushed too hard.
it's called "clipping".
what happens is that the amp is working so hard, that the nice analog waveform (imagine a mountain with a smooth rounded top) is clipped (now the mountain has a flat plateau). speakers do not like a clipped signal.
like keith said...as long as you don't push the amp too hard (you're not hearing distortion) you'll be fine.
typically, when a speaker blows, it is the tweeter that blows...this is a sure-fire sign that you actually underpowered the speaker. if you blow a woofer it's something you can brag about to all your ht friends! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks