What's new

How do I calculate the number of amps my laser printer uses? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
My laser printer has 2 sets of specs:

Low voltage:

100-127 Volts, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption: 330 watts operating, 85 watts standby, and 25 watts idle.

High voltage:

220-240 Volts, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption: 340 watts operating, 85 watts standby, and 25 watts idle.

Can someone please tell me how to translate this data into amps? Thanks!

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Maybe I can answer my own question....

Does Amps = Watts / Volts?

So, given the specs above, the number of amps my laser printer uses will vary in between 3.3 (330/100) and 1.5 (340/220), right?

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Correct. However, I'll assume that you have either 220 or 110 volt installation, so depending on which one, it will be either 0.8-3.0 A (110V) or 0.4-1.5 A (220V)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Just out of curiosity, why do you need to know? I've had a laser printer for almost 10 years and have never found myself wondering about how many amps it consumes. :)
Regards,
Joe

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Artur: Thanks!

Joe: It's actually X10 related. I recently added a workgroup laser printer to my office and now, because of the amount of power that the printer drains, my office X10 controls are all screwed up. So I need to buy a plug filter for the printer in order to screen out its noise. I was trying to see if I can get away with the cheap 5 amp filters or if I had to spend $75 on a 15 amp one. =)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ah, the joys of calculating amps for X-10 filters.

I hate X-10. As soon as I can afford it I'm dumping my significant investment ($Thousands) worth of X-10 equipment and switching to real home automation hardware. After trying to actually USE X-10, I've discovered that it's just kiddie stuff...

It's too bad, because X-10 is nice and cheap.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Ryan: Do you have any recommendations on where to get the filters on the cheap? Thanks!

It really isn't that bad for the price. I've automated 5 rooms (lights w/ motion detectors) for well under $200. I'm considering buying one of those drape controls as a last expense.

Then, I'm with you. I'll wait until I can afford the real stuff.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Ryan,

any thoughts on "real home automation hardware"? i need some lighting control for a dedicated theater, the walls are not finished, so it'll be like doing new construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks