What's new

How Did People Do VHS on Home Theater? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hi --
I only got into the home Theater thing with the onset of DVD. I do however, have one or two VHS tapes that I need to view. (the Widescreen version of Lost Highway, for example).
Since I got my DVD player and DD/DTS receiver, I haven't hooked my VCR back up. I feel the need to do so.
My questions are these:
1. What sound do you get out of a VHS? Do I set the receiver to Dolby Pro Logic? And if so, does it matrix the L and R channel to give me a center channel?
2. Whats the deal with the THX Star Wars video tapes? What do they give you audio wise that other video tapes don't give you.
3. And finally, I'm guessing because of #1, that the dialogue isn't anchored in the center.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Pro-Logic.
Star Wars and most everything on VHS thats stereo is Dolby Pro-Logic.
Thats pretty much it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If the material is 2-channel surround encoded (such as Lost Highway), you watch it with pro-logic decoding selected. This will result in the extraction of a center channel and mono surrounds in addition to the left and right stereo information. THX processing for home video software is essentially a set of mastering standards, so you should get very well mastered 2-channel matrixed surround.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 13, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
If the material is 2-channel surround encoded (such as Lost Highway), you watch it with pro-logic decoding selected. This will result in the extraction of a center channel and mono surrounds in addition to the left and right stereo information.
Thanks.
Will any VCR do or does it have to be some certain type?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Treat VHS stereo tracks exactly the same as you would DD 2.0 tracks on DVD. For purposes of surround processing, they're the same thing.
quote: 3. And finally, I'm guessing because of #1, that the dialogue isn't anchored in the center. [/quote] Yes it is. The center channel is composed of sounds that are equally present in the left and right channel. Dialogue is almost always mixed this way. If the dialogue shifts left or right, it's because the sound designers meant it to.
Will any VCR do or does it have to be some certain type?
As long as it can playback in stereo, you're fine.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 13, 2001 at 10:16 AM]

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My first response was going to be "very quietly" since VHS viewing is frowned upon
wink.gif
, but I still use VHS for viewing, especially those movies that are clearly not on DVD. I watched Star Wars the other night Special Edition Widescreen, and it was manageable especially with DNR on the 7600 and Logic 7 to turn your mono surrounds to stereo with pans in the back. Check your receiver sometines using the DSPs can enhance pro-logic material.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I time-shift via 2 Hi-Fi VCRs (sometimes 3), and I listen the Dolby Surround encoded soundtracks (decoded with DPL by my receiver) when I play the VHS tapes back later when I watch my TV shows. I think they sound pretty decent, considering the source, plus, most are dialogue driven shows, so I don't expect that all-enveloping 5.1 sound from DVDs.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've got my stereo CED videodisc player hooked up to my system, and pro-logic movies sound great!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Whats the deal with the THX Star Wars video tapes? What do they give you audio wise that other video tapes don't give you.
As far as I'm concerned, this is a marketing gimmick, and nothing more.
Pro-Logic works, but man, VHS is just plain hard to watch on my 53" HDTV.
icon13.gif

Todd

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Todd, sounds like you need two things, a vcr that has s-video with TBC/DNR and a line doubler. TBC/DNR really does a great job in cleaning up VHS movies. It eliminates that color bleeding and jaggies that you see on VHS movies, couple that with a good line doubler you got a really manageable viewing.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks