What's new

How dark should carpet be? (1 Viewer)

Will T

Auditioning
Looking for input on carpet colors. Mostly how dark they should be. Is it a distraction if the carpet isn't real dark? I'll be using a Panasonic projector. Screen will be about 100" wide. Walls and ceiling will be dark and towards neutural, but not black. Room will be completely dark. No outside light to worry about.

Also considering HT seating that is taupe in color, although it's also available in black. Any thoughts there? I can't imagine the color of the seat I'm sitting in being a distraction. Any input appreciated.

Bill

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I feel the Theater room in itself is a distraction till you get used too it. Get the color carpet you feel best with that goes with the room. Beige or cream probably are not ideal colors (humor)... but you dont have too have black IMO. I would think too worry more about color if it were tile- wich could reflect light....but carpet...have at it! .. Color I chose was a brick-Red... I normally dont look at the floor when the Movie is on :)

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I selected my carpet to added a little interest to the room, since the only real "color" in the room was going to be the upper half of my walls.(GOM "Wheat") The lower portion of my walls, my screen & proscenium walls as well as my ceiling are all black, as will be my seating.

Given that, I chose a carpet color/pattern that will complement but not overwhelm the room, while hopefully all but "disappearing" under normal viewing conditions.

Here's a close-up shot of my carpet:

And a slightly wider shot for perspective:

More pictures available at the site in my signature, and here's a direct link to more shots of the carpet: Carpet Photos

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
We did ours in a darker red carpet with a small diamond texture in it. It looks like something you would find in a lobby. Our walls are in a medium light green. Here is a Picture Not enough light to get the true colors :frowning: We also went with a lighter color furniture
The only trouble I had was light reflecting back to the screen, was from the ceiling. It originally was white. I painted it the same color as the walls only in a flat base. Even with our lights on the dimmest setting, the whole room is very dark.
Sorry, I am one of those guys that only uses color names like blue, red, tan & green. I don't really know what a taupe, mauve, sea breeze looks like. :D My wife picked out our colors and she would know their real names.
Dave

Will T

Auditioning
Thank you all for the replies. We're torn between dark walls and medium carpet, to dark carpet with medium walls. Either way from your input we don't need dark everywhere. Thanks again. Anyone else with input can reply. I'll still check back

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
The last house I was in I had plans for two 8'x8' red (a dark red) squares with a 3' border of blue (a view from the top would look like a blue 8 with the 'holes' filled in red).

The only problem with the room was the TV wall has a 3'x8' window with a streetlight just outside :angry: So, before I even had carpet, I ordered light-blocker blinds in red that would match the carpet and there were also some window treatments made.

Then it was decided we were moving so I just did the red carpet over the whole thing. I never saw any glare at any time during the process, with a cement floor and white walls.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I went with a medium beige berber because of price. (I found a roll that was special ordered but never picked up at Lowe's for less than half the normal price.) I wanted to go with darker carpet, but the price was too good to pass up.

I was worried that the light color would distract, but with the black ceiling and dark maroon walls, the room is plenty dark. Plus the lighter color helps prevent a cave feeling.

Guess I'd say dark walls and lighter carpet can work well.

chris_everett

Second Unit
I have a commercial carpet that's black with little geometric patterns and stars and stuff on it. It was cheap, and provides the theater look without the expense. The darker the room is the better, but the walls/floor/etc close to the screen are the most important.

chundell

Auditioning
Check out my carpet in my gallery. I chose a blue because i have my walls dark blue. And my seating is black

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks