What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watch for zombies in California. According to the numbers at NBC News, apparently some of those who passed away are coming back:

1623366125105.png

Wondering how you get negative deaths reported? Did they include some people who they later determined passed from other causes?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
There is a celebration of life gathering for one of the friends we lost (to COVID) scheduled at the end of the month. I expect there to be well over 100 people in attendance. My wife and I want to attend but we are concerned about the fact that some portion of those attending are unlikely to be vaccinated (forum rules don't allow me to discuss why I am certain of this). Plus, the use of masks is not being encouraged (the host has stated she will NOT be wearing a mask).

With the Delta variant spreading, plus the fact that my wife is somewhat immunocompromised, I am concerned this gathering will potentially be an unsafe situation.

I am totally torn between attending and staying as safe as possible. This would be, by far, the most risky situation we could place ourselves in since the pandemic began. If I knew that EVERYONE was vaccinated and masks were encouraged, it would be a different situation.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That’s a tough call Mark. The fact that you’re in this predicament means the dearly departed was very close to you, so I understand wanting to attend. In that case, since you and yours are fully vaccinated, perhaps donning some certified N95 may assuage your concerns? Nothing is foolproof but N95s worn properly are effective, as are the vaccines you’ve both received. If I were in your situation and wanted to pay my respects, that’s how I’d proceed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not me, your friend is dead because of Covid and you have people attending that ceremony not respecting the fact that this deadly virus took your friend by not getting vaccinated nor wearing masks because they aren't vaccinated.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To clarify my position, that was only if "not attending" is really off the plate for you. If it isn't, I too would abstain from attending.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If it was an outdoor event, I would probably go without too much concern. If it was an indoor event, I don’t know what I’d do.

Properly worn N95s work. My stepdad is a nurse anesthetist and he’s been intubating people with the virus for over a year and didn’t catch it. My mother is a hospital nurse and she didn’t catch the virus. A close family friend, like an uncle, is a dentist and he hasn’t caught it. All of them were working throughout the pandemic way before the vaccines came along and to the best of my knowledge, none of them even had a scare or moment where they thought they might have picked it up.

Believe me, I understand the impulse to be cautious. But I also think the combination of you being vaccinated plus wearing an N95 mask would provide significant protection to you and your wife should it be an event you decide to attend.

I had to commit now to a wedding of a dear friend in October. We’re not sure what our comfort level will be but not going wasn’t really an option. Our hope is that everyone attending will be vaccinated (we have reason to believe this will be the case) and I believe that a significant portion of the event will be outdoors. But I figure the worst case scenario - if it rains and the event gets pushed indoors, and if fewer than expected are vaccinated - then we’ll attend with N95 masks and perhaps excuse ourselves before dinner is served.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Properly worn N95s work.
This is key. Properly worn and fitted. Like Josh's family relations, one of my very close friends is doing her residency in a Bronx hospital, and she treated and intubated people for months prior to a vaccine being available and the N95 (and I think a face shield or goggles) was her only protection. Her hospital was one of those that ran out of space almost immediately so she was surrounded by COVID patients non-stop for months.

Again, the safest is not to attend. But if you feel strongly about attending, a properly fitted and worn N95 plus your vaccine protection should give you decent piece of mind.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I are strongly leaning toward not attending the celebration of life service. But we probably won't make the final decision until a few days before the event.

Effective today, California has fully reopened. Some may recall that California was the first state to shut down. And, although things did start to get a bit dicey here, overall, California has faired pretty well when you consider it's the most populous state in the nation.

The mask mandate has been eliminated for those that are fully vaccinated. But it's being done on the honor system so there will be plenty of unvaccinated people running around without masks.

IMHO, it's a little bit more dangerous to live in California starting today. Particularly for those that are unvaccinated. But with some scientists stating the mRNA vaccines are "only" 80% effective against the Delta variant (80% efficacy against symptomatic infection), it's slightly more dangerous for the vaccinated too.

I fear that infection rates and death rates are going to start climbing again.

Mark

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My wife and I are strongly leaning toward not attending the celebration of life service. But we probably won't make the final decision until a few days before the event.

Effective today, California has fully reopened. Some may recall that California was the first state to shut down. And, although things did start to get a bit dicey here, overall, California has faired pretty well when you consider it's the most populous state in the nation.

The mask mandate has been eliminated for those that are fully vaccinated. But it's being done on the honor system so there will be plenty of unvaccinated people running around without masks.

IMHO, it's a little bit more dangerous to live in California starting today. Particularly for those that are unvaccinated. But with some scientists stating the mRNA vaccines are "only" 80% effective against the Delta variant (80% efficacy against symptomatic infection), it's slightly more dangerous for the vaccinated too.

I fear that infection rates and death rates are going to start climbing again.

Mark
The Delta variant is one reason why I plan on continuing to mask up even after the 2-3 week period following my 2nd COVID vaccine dose that I'm getting this Friday. Hopefully, the new case numbers in Ontario continue trending downward. It was 296 reported this morning, which is the lowest since last September.

CHEERS! :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recall last year when the vaccines were being tested that Dr. Fauci said he'd be happy if a vaccine came through with an efficacy rate of 50-60%. That we have two vaccines largely in the 90% range, and another around 70%, with another on the way that also appears in the 90% range (Novavax, which I think they said is nearly 90% even against the new variants), seems miraculous to me. If the variants drop that a bit, it's still amazingly effective overall.

If you're waiting for a vaccine to be 100% effective against every variant before you resume semi-normal activities, it may be a long wait. But you have to live your life, your way, and in balance with whatever other health issues you may have.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you're waiting for a vaccine to be 100% effective against every variant before you resume semi-normal activities, it may be a long wait.

Agreed. That’s a standard higher than we hold other vaccines to - the big guns like MMR aren’t 100% either.

I’m reasonably certain of the following two things:
-We’re never going to get a vaccine that’s 100% effective in 100% of the population at preventing 100% of any and all occurrences of the virus.

-We’re never going to get 100% of the population to take the vaccine.

With those two things in mind, what these vaccines have achieved is remarkable. They’re reducing instances of symptomatic disease anywhere from 60ish to 90ish percent of the time. (A year ago, 50% of the time would have been considered a miracle.) But what I think is more notable is that they are nearly 100% effective at preventing severe disease, hospitalization and death. They’re extremely effective at slowing or stopping transmission by all but ensuring that breakthrough infections aren’t strong enough to be retransmitted. That to me is the game changer. We’ve never been guaranteed a life without minor illnesses and cold. The vaccine turns covid from a superspreading deadly illness into a nuisance illness.

I also have to believe that once the job of inoculating the world nears completion, there will also be further developments in treatments for the infections that do happen, further lessening the impact of the virus.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched my first movie in a movie theater since February, 2019. Even though I am fully vaccinated, I wore a N-95 mask throughout my showing of "In the Heights". This large screen theater with Dolby Atmos and lounge chairs only had five other people in the audience during my matinee showing.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
In Ontario, all stores and restaurants are basically only available for curb side pick up. Food stores are still open but stores that sell other things besides food have those sections cordoned off. Personal services are also closed down and have been for over a month. Most tv news people and radio personalities are working from home.

We see broadcasters and politicians on TV with longer and longer hair. Our prime minister looks like Charles Dickens and the mayor of Toronto resembles Beethoven!

I saw some pics of Justin Trudeau at the G7 and he's starting to look like Grizzly Addams.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Today, I watched my first movie in a movie theater since February, 2019. Even though I am fully vaccinated, I wore a N-95 mask throughout my showing of "In the Heights". This large screen theater with Dolby Atmos and lounge chairs only had five other people in the audience during my matinee showing.
Same for my wife and I. We went to the matinée showing on Monday in a Dolby Cinema theater with recliners. There were 15 people in an auditorium that seats 180. The ”Welcome Back” intro was nice.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Delta variant is now 10% of covid cases in the US...
It seems basically impossible that this won't run through the maskless, unvaccinated population but hopefully, that convinces some of the unvaccinated people to get the vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks