What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are both mRNA, so they may have some crossover potential. Not that I've heard of lots of crossover, but there was one man in New Hampshire who was given a different vaccine for the second shot by mistake and no one seemed overly concerned.

Yup, that was a major story for a while here in the Hamster Shire. The accepted wisdom was that it wasn't all that big a deal, since they were both mRNA. But in the vaccination thread, I mentioned that when going for my second shot, I was given a purple card that said "Pzifer vaccine only" when checking in. In addition to the purple cards, there was a stack of green ones, and a stack of (I forget which) white or yellow ones. They were face down, so I don't know what they said, but I assume one of them said "Moderna vaccine only" and the other said "either vaccine" or "first shot" or something like that.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's been more than two weeks since I got my second Moderna shot and I still wear a mask when I'm around people outside. I definitely wear it inside a business.
Same. I’ve had my cootie shots but I’m acutely aware that I can still be a carrier and spread it around so I’m still going to be masking around other people for a long time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We’re going over to friends tonight, playing boardgames in person, no masks! Looking forward to it! (They and us is fully vax’d.)

First time playing board games in person since last March or so, when the board game group shut down as the nation was closing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I treated myself to a nice indoor dinner the other night. It was a local sushi restaurant that had been closed for basically the whole pandemic reopening finally to about 1/3 capacity, and I realized I hadn’t had sushi in basically over a year. They kept both the front and back door open which kept a nice breeze of fresh air going through what is already a relatively small restaurant (normally holds maybe 40 but was seating about a dozen at a time).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We’ve been in a “pod” with my parents and stepparents the past year so we’ve seen more family more regularly than some have but the rest of the family has been out of reach. Today, for Mother’s Day, my fully vaccinated younger brother was able to join us in person to celebrate, which was really nice.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
We're fully vaxed and beginning to venture out in the world again. So far we have been to 3 restaurants in the past 3 weeks, one inside and two outside. California is beginning to move toward normal and by the end of summer, all mask will be gone.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
We're fully vaxed and beginning to venture out in the world again. So far we have been to 3 restaurants in the past 3 weeks, one inside and two outside. California is beginning to move toward normal and by the end of summer, all mask will be gone.
While I'd love for that last part to be true (as a fellow fully vaccinated Californian) I won't be counting on it.

Why? Because of this vaccination statistics page

I've been following it closely for the past few weeks, ever since vaccine supply became relatively robust, and state guidelines allowed for all over 16 to get it. The worrying trend over the past few weeks? Adding up fully vaccinated and partially vaccinated percentages have stayed right around 60-62%.

Now that doesn't mean that we haven't been vaccinating many people in the last 3 weeks, as many who were in the partially vaccinated statistic have moved to the fully vaccinated statistic.

What this does mean is that there's nearly 38% of people who, for whatever reason, have not even bothered over the last month to get one shot, despite robust availability. And how do I know it's been robust? Because I've be checking the MyTurn dot CA dot gov website and inputting random areas around the most populated parts of California (So Cal, Bay Area) and there are no shortage of availability. And keep in mind that MyTurn is only the state run vaccine program, not people's private healthcare providers, who also have their own stash (Kaiser had so much they opened up their tiers a couple of weeks before the state did).

What worries me is the variants ravaging other parts of the world. It is so important for everyone who can get a vaccine to do so, and yet it seems that even in California, which has a certain reputation nationally, over a third of people seem to not want to get it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What worries me is the variants ravaging other parts of the world. It is so important for everyone who can get a vaccine to do so, and yet it seems that even in California, which has a certain reputation nationally, over a third of people seem to not want to get it.
Stupid is not limited to just one region.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have serious doubts about that as too many people don't want to get vaccinated.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I don't know - it seems like just as there is a stubborn percentage of the population that is refusing the vaccine there is also a percentage that seems to never want masking to go away. Weird IMO.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Yes it true......there will be a percentage of the country that will refuse to take the vaccine. The "experts" are saying that fully vaxed peoples chance of getting Covid is very, very low. We have decided to continue to wear our mask when shopping (out in public) until we have more data. Having said that we will be gathering indoors for gatherings with other fully vaxed folks and leaving the mask OFF.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't know - it seems like just as there is a stubborn percentage of the population that is refusing the vaccine there is also a percentage that seems to never want masking to go away. Weird IMO.
While it can definitely skew in that direction, my take is it's more from realistic observation of the stubborn percentage of the population refusing the vaccine scotching any chances of herd immunity, than actual desire for permanent masking.

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not weird because those that don't want to get vaccinated, if they did so, then those that want to mask would stop doing so. Masking is a PITA and makes it harder to breath so I think that those that want it to never go away is a select few if everybody else is vaccinated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks