What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
They are in the short term, when
  • You have a lot of good books in your library that you haven't had a chance to read yet (my situation)
  • You can order more books from Amazon or Barnes & Noble's online store without the need to physically browse the shelves
Don't get me wrong – I enjoy browsing brick-and-mortar bookstores. But as with any retail shopping, there's a bit more risk of being exposed to COVID-19.

My wife and I both have huge collections of books, including ones still unread. And we are happy to order books on-line. But we can't stay out of bookstores. Masked, yes. Socially distanced, yes. But still...

There's a used-book store in our area that we have frequented for years. Both of the owners (husband and wife) are elderly, but they remained open for most of the last year. We only went there a couple of times in the last year, and were glad to see them still doing well when we saw them a few weeks ago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I honestly can’t say at this point if my fewer store visits are pandemic related or parent-of-young-children related; I think it’s the latter.

What’s been most positive for me in recent weeks has been the return of nice weather along with the confirmation that outdoor activities are very low risk. I take my twins on a stroller ride twice a day most of the time and just getting outdoors and showing them a little bit of the world has been so wonderful after a cold and wet winter kept us housebound.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah as I mentioned way earlier I am starting to ride more now. I’ll keep a mask in my jersey pocket because I do tend to stop at a coffee house at the midpoint of my ride, but I likely won’t be wearing it while on my bike. I need the oxygen intake or else I’ll bonk (yep that’s a cycling term).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This week will be our biggest return to "normalcy" since February 2020. On Wednesday, my wife and I have appointments for eye exams. We are way past due for eye checks and new glasses. We'll wear masks (double masks) during the exam, of course. After we get our new glasses prescriptions, we'll head over to Costco to pick out some new frames. We'll likely get both a regular set of frames and then also prescription sunglasses. We'll wear masks (double masks) during our time in Costco. It will be my wife's first time in Costco since February 2020.

On Thursday, a friend is picking up my wife and they are joining another group of women at a restaurant for lunch. Everyone attending is fully vaccinated. My wife will wear a mask (double mask) while in the car and the restaurant (except when eating, of course).

On Saturday, we are attending a 75th birthday party for a friend. It's being held in someone's home. Everyone attending is fully vaccinated. We will wear masks (double masks) while indoors. When it's time to eat, we will move outdoors before taking our masks off.

I do not expect everyone else to be wearing masks. Some will, some won't. We'll just try to steer clear of the ones who won't.

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Admittedly I don't know everyone in the world, so I'm sure there are people who fall under that description, but I don't know of a single one.
I know a guy, he’s got a wife and kids. The wife has been vaccinated, but since he “had” covid a year ago, he won’t get vaccinated because he’s “immune.” He’s got kids.
For the roughly one-third of adults not willing to get the vaccine, I'd just like them to answer "what more proof do you need that these are safe?" Over 114M Americans have been fully vaccinated. Tens of millions more with one dose. If this was even borderline unsafe, there would literally be hundreds of thousands of cases of vaccine-related morbidities, heck if there was a 1% problem there would be over a million. That staggering of a number couldn't be kept under wraps.
These are all good logical points. Unfortunately, those opposed to the vaccine are not using logic.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We are still closed down here in Ontario, and only essentials can be sold at stores. When you go to Walmart or Costco, huge sections where non food items are usually sold are cordoned off.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We are still closed down here in Ontario, and only essentials can be sold at stores. When you go to Walmart or Costco, huge sections where non food items are usually sold are cordoned off.
They did that here for a while last summer, which I thought was really dumb. People still need underwear, or maybe ink or paper for working from home.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know a guy, he’s got a wife and kids. The wife has been vaccinated, but since he “had” covid a year ago, he won’t get vaccinated because he’s “immune.” He’s got kids.

These are all good logical points. Unfortunately, those opposed to the vaccine are not using logic.
I realized it wasn't clear which part of the quote that I was replying to that that comment was directed at. I was referring to the second half of the quote: "there is also a percentage that seems to never want masking to go away. Weird IMO."

I know people who are still cautious and wear them, but that's out of an abundance of caution. As soon as we're demonstrably past any additional surge possibilities, and more of our community is vaccinated, they will definitely stop wearing masks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know someone who's had it twice. As far as the argument of improved immunity from the first time, the second time put him in the hospital. I'm pretty certain he still refuses to get the vaccine, though it might be too soon since the second round of infection.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'm afraid this means more people who are not vaccinated are going to walk around unmasked. The more people not vaccinated and unmasked means there are more chances of variants happening which is not good.

Maybe stores and restaurants should start voluntarily enforcing "vaccine passport" requirements for entry.

"No vaccine passport, OR mask, OR valid excuse why you can't get the vaccine (e.g., <12 years old; doctor's note) displayed in plain sight == no service" Where either a photocopy of a vaccination card or a printout from a hospital patient portal can serve as a vaccine passport 'badge'.

Just like "No shoes, no shirt, no service."…

Just a thought. If they can't enforce mask use on those who could get vaccinated, but refuse to do so, the people I feel most sorry for are the ones who would like to get a vaccine, but can't (e.g., <12 years old … or allergic … or immuno-compromised from cancer treatment).

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Maybe stores and restaurants should start voluntarily enforcing "vaccine passport" requirements for entry.

"No vaccine passport, OR mask, OR valid excuse why you can't get the vaccine (e.g., <12 years old; doctor's note) displayed in plain sight == no service" Where either a photocopy of a vaccination card or a printout from a hospital patient portal can serve as a vaccine passport 'badge'.

Just like "No shoes, no shirt, no service."…

Just a thought. If they can't enforce mask use on those who could get vaccinated, but refuse to do so, the people I feel most sorry for are the ones who would like to get a vaccine, but can't (e.g., <12 years old … or allergic … or immuno-compromised from cancer treatment).
Vaccine passports are illegal in Florida by state law. :emoji_angry:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I realized it wasn't clear which part of the quote that I was replying to that that comment was directed at. I was referring to the second half of the quote: "there is also a percentage that seems to never want masking to go away. Weird IMO."

I know people who are still cautious and wear them, but that's out of an abundance of caution. As soon as we're demonstrably past any additional surge possibilities, and more of our community is vaccinated, they will definitely stop wearing masks.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Perhaps this is largely due to the extreme COVID caseloads in India, but a daughter's parents both got COVID three weeks (or more) AFTER receiving their first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine doses. They also died within 9 days of each other, in large part, due to India's health care system being extremely overwhelmed with cases, lack of available oxygen, and other issues.

Here's the full article:

The bottom line is even partly vaccinated, precautions still very much need to be taken!

Stay safe everyone!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. But again, my comment was very clear that I acknowledged those people may exist but I don’t know any of them in my life. That still holds true. I’d be interested to see if this group is anywhere near the “anti vaccine” population in the USA, which is now obviously in the millions. I’m going to guess it’s not even close.

edit. Also I wondered what that source you sent was (they don’t have a Wikipedia entry) and all I found was this Reddit thread titled dnyuz is not a reliable source of news lol.

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
How about this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks