What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
1109-arms.jpg

Actual shot of the typical arm of an average Smithey cast iron pan cook.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I got our Covid shots Friday night (Pfizer, as always before). Oddly enough, this time we had some strong-ish side-effects. Our arms were more sore than with previous shots, and it's lasted longer than previous shots. They're still sore today. And we both felt exhausted all day yesterday, which didn't happen with previous shots.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In retrospect, the booster really fatigued me all day yesterday. I was rundown Saturday already, that I thought I just slept bad a second night and was tired Sunday too. But I feel so much better today, it’s clear that I didn’t sleep well in part from the booster and was fatigued from the booster as well. And that’s been my reaction more often than not.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
In retrospect, the booster really fatigued me all day yesterday. I was rundown Saturday already, that I thought I just slept bad a second night and was tired Sunday too. But I feel so much better today, it’s clear that I didn’t sleep well in part from the booster and was fatigued from the booster as well. And that’s been my reaction more often than not.
I’d take that as a good sign that your body is busy building an immunity response.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d take that as a good sign that your body is busy building an immunity response.
My midwestern, methodist upbringing predisposes me to expect some suffering to be required in order to have some benefit :D but I think we know that physical reaction to the vaccine has no bearing on its efficacy for our immune system. It’s just the vagaries of our biologies. Some people have no reaction and get no less benefit. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The couple we spend the most time with have reported testing positive today. During the worst of the pandemic they were just as careful as we have been. But about 3-4 months ago, they stopped wearing masks as consistently as we have been. The bug finally found them.

They report mild symptoms. Body aches, chills, headache, congestion, and mild fever. I'm trying to convince them to get scripts for Paxlovid but I think they are going to tough it out without an anti-viral.

We haven't spent time with them for about 2 weeks. This coming weekend is when we would have likely gotten together with them again. We dodged a bullet.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Had my Covid shot on Thursday. My arm is still sore and I was slightly feverish and achy the first day or so. But it was almost like someone flipped a switch after 22 hours and all the symptoms vanished except the sore arm (and even that felt considerably better).

This was the most reaction I had to any of the Covid shots. Not sure if it was just random, the new "formulation", or because this was Moderna (I'd had Pfizer for all others).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m scheduled for both at noon on Tuesday. I’ve had almost imperceptible symptoms to both vaccines in the past, but have never gotten both at the same time. I just feel like my blood pressure drops for a while.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I received our vaccines yesterday. I had a slight bit of fatigue this morning which became a little more pronounced as the day wore on. Minimal pain at the injection site. I figure I'll be feeling pretty much normal by tomorrow.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Regarding our friends who recently came down with COVID... She started having symptoms last Sunday but didn't test positive until Thursday. He started having symptoms on Wednesday and tested positive on Thursday. They each reached out to their respective doctors on Friday. His doctor wrote him a prescription for Paxlovid and he started taking it on Friday. Her doctor told her it was probably too late and didn't write a script.

Today (Sunday), he is mostly feeling okay. He still has a bit of a cough and some chest congestion. Maybe a little bit tired. But, overall, feeling better. Conversely, she's lost her sense of taste and smell and is otherwise feeling pretty much the same as a few days ago.

If I get the bug, provided my other meds aren't a contraindication, you can be darn tooting that I'll insist on a prescription for Paxlovid.

FWIW, he told me that when he did his self-test on Thursday, the T test line turned red almost instantly. It was red before the drops of fluid had even reached the control line.

Mark

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
FWIW, he told me that when he did his self-test on Thursday, the T test line turned red almost instantly. It was red before the drops of fluid had even reached the control line.
Both times that I caught Covid, my initial positive test (and several subsequent tests) were all like that. The positive line appeared before the control line did. I’m guessing that’s because the viral load was so high at the time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m guessing that’s because the viral load was so high at the time.

That’s exactly right from what I’ve read from epidemiologists.

As they explained it:

A faint positive line that shows up 14 minutes into the 15 minute wait period means you’re infectious, but on the more mild side - your household members may get sick if they’re in close proximity to you, but if you’re isolating in one side of the house and your roommate at the other, and wearing properly fitted N95 or equivalent masks in common spaces, you can probably keep that from spreading.

Bright red instantly basically means you’re in superspreader territory if you don’t isolate completely, if you make an unmasked trip to the pharmacy for a prescription, everyone in the store is getting sick.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I forgot to add earlier that I didn’t experience any adverse reaction to my vax and felt fine all day yesterday and today. My arm was a tad sore because I got both shots in the same shoulder but even that was mostly gone when I got up this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks