What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The vaccine won't necessarily prevent you from contracting the virus, but hopefully will lessen the symptoms if you do.
I see the vaccine as sort of like a bulletproof vest: It won't stop *all* bullets, but will stop or considerably slow down most of them -- and, yes, the impact itself may still put you in the I.C.U. (or worse) -- and going by most accounts & most available statistical info, you're much better off with the "vest" than without it..

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
LOL best laid plans...

Decided to split the shots in each shoulder (covid always goes in left) and scheduled for evening so by the time it got sore I'd be asleep.

Well, I'm a side sleeper...so woke up with major soreness in both shoulders as I'm sure I took turns alternating on sleeping on each one through the night.

Mid-day now though and they're both much less sore, so I think the worst is behind me. Not bad for the piece of mind it gives me (not immunity, of course, but best chance to avoid the worst outcome).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A member of our magic club passed away this week due to COVID. He was 85.

A reminder it is still out there and can still be deadly, particularly for the elderly and immune compromised.

Mark

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about the passing of your magic club friend. Yes, I totally agree that Covid is still out there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve not posted here recently and Mark’s post reminded me to.

in the past few weeks there has been an big change at where I work. There are some very hot and urgent projects going on and a sudden change in management in my group. My company has a policy to allow us to work from home and trusts each employee to be responsible for their work, so since we proved during the pandemic that we could still function well this way, the company will continue to allow it. But there’s been a shake-up in my group and we have a new manager. He said we have to return to work on premises. I had been preparing a new company provided computer to use at home and prepping a computer to use at my desk at work. I wanted a system there I can use when I was there on the days I needed to be there. Now I had to swap the new computer to bring back to work and leave the older one at home. I totally didn’t expect the management change. Most of us have retuned but one or two still work at home part time. there is a grace period, without a date. So I suspect they are going to take advantage of the grace period.

At any rate, I have not caught Covid during all this time as I was careful always wearing a mask amd got vaxed as soon as I could. Now that I’m back, and surrounded by people who do not wear masks, I’ve relaxed my rule a bit. My group works on the separate room, so I take my mask off at my desk, but wear it when I’m outside the room. I feel like I’m really rolling the dice now. I need to find time to get a booster too.

What was good about going back to work, is it relaxed my fear of the outside world. Ha, ha, but seriously, it’s been tough to get used to touching door knobs and eating at the cafeteria with co-workers. I have a spray bottle with 70% alcohol to serialize things and purel of course.

I’ve been thinking a lot, in the past, I rarely ever got the flu. The last time was probably 25 years ago When I had it bad with fever and cough. It was from using a public microphone. So ever since, I always practiced keeping distance and washing hands, but not to the level I do now. So I have to wonder, if I just always practiced safer behavior, as I know I’m not Covid proof. So maybe I need to relax a bit and live a little.

I think like how the Great Depression likely altered how people handled their finances in case of another depression, I’m never going back to be totally unprotected in the wild.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The other shoe has finally dropped.

Round the end of last week, my wife developed symptoms of a bad cold. She was miserable for about four days, and then started feeling better. The second day in, she decided to test for Covid, and it was negative. As she started to improve, I started getting the same symptoms. Not surprising, as that has happened with us before. My symptoms started developing overnight Monday into Tuesday. By Friday, my sinuses were starting to clear up, and moving into a coughing phase.

Something about the cough felt off to me, so even though I had no reason to believe it was anything but the same cold my wife had, I decided to test myself this morning. Yup. Positivo. And I have no idea where I might've caught it from.

I still managed to go almost four years without catching it. So that's something.

To be honest, the biggest PITA about this is that I'm scheduled for a procedure this coming Thursday, and I'll probably have to reschedule.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The other shoe has finally dropped.

Round the end of last week, my wife developed symptoms of a bad cold. She was miserable for about four days, and then started feeling better. The second day in, she decided to test for Covid, and it was negative. As she started to improve, I started getting the same symptoms. Not surprising, as that has happened with us before. My symptoms started developing overnight Monday into Tuesday. By Friday, my sinuses were starting to clear up, and moving into a coughing phase.

Something about the cough felt off to me, so even though I had no reason to believe it was anything but the same cold my wife had, I decided to test myself this morning. Yup. Positivo. And I have no idea where I might've caught it from.

I still managed to go almost four years without catching it. So that's something.

To be honest, the biggest PITA about this is that I'm scheduled for a procedure this coming Thursday, and I'll probably have to reschedule.

Sorry to hear this.

Hope you feel better, Jerry.

The worst thing about Covid is not just when you'll finally get it, but based on the reoccurrences during winter months, there's the question of just how often over the rest of our lifetime we'll get it again.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
To be honest I'm not feeling all that terribly, all things considered. The clogged sinuses earlier, and the current coughing are more annoying than anything else. I had low energy a couple of days ago, but yesterday and (so far) today, I'm doing OK. Even the coughing hasn't seemed as persistent as it was yesterday and over the night. What made the cough feel off to me, and made me decide to test myself was that I could feel it in the chest rather than the more usual tickle in the throat.

I more bothered by having to reschedule my upcoming procedure (routine colonoscopy).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Not too speedy. I tested myself again this morning. Still positive.

Managed to get one appointment I had for tomorrow rescheduled. Still waiting on a call-back for the other.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So, after Monday's still-positive test, I managed to continue to test positive on Wednesday and Friday. Very strong, no chance of not seeing it red line. Symptoms come and go. I spend most of a day not coughing too much or needing to blow my nose, then in the evening, both are back. Rinse, repeat.

Took my latest test earlier this afternoon. Still positive, but just barely. The line is still there, but very faint. Which suggests my viral load has dropped. Hopefully, when I test again on Tuesday, it'll be negative. My sister-in-law is coming for a 2-week visit then.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That sounds similar enough to my case a year ago (and many others I hear/read about)... including how it typically lasts somewhere around 10 days. Sounds like you're approaching 10 days soon...

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It might be 10 days already. I've no idea how long I might've had it before I tested myself.

When my wife had it about a year and a half ago, it was 7 days between her first test (positive) and her first negative test.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
15 days for me to go positive to negative, but took about nine months to feel better afterwards. Not an experience I’d care to repeat and not one I’m likely to forget.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The CDC is now recommending a second dose of the 2023-2024 vaccine for those persons over 65. Our HMO reached out to us, we have appointments next week.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We received another COVID vaccine 2 weeks ago. A week ago we decided to start easing off on wearing masks when in public indoor spaces. Three days later I woke up with a sore throat. It's not COVID (I've tested daily). I'm in middle of the worst cold I've had in many years. My rib cage is killing me due to all the coughing. My wife has it too, but not as bad as me.

Three days! That's all I made it while exercising freedom from a mask. This is the first time I've had a viral infection since February 2020. And, as mentioned, the worst cold in many many years.

Yes, we are going back to wearing masks.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks