What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (6 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, excuse my recent focus on mask Info. Thanks to Dave and Josh again for the info for the places to buy and the types of masks out there.

As I learn more about the other masks out there, I was noticing what high profile people are wearing when they are photographed in public doing their jobs. One example is Kamala Harris. I’m not being political by bring her up and have no intention to bring politics into this. With that said, I noticed her mask and it looked a lot like a KN-95. So I was wondering where she got her masks. In this photo, it looks like she is wearing the KN-95 masks that Josh recommended from Bona Fide masks. This mask has no markings on it, and the shape is slightly different. So maybe it was provided by another supplier. Or the markings have been worn off?

3469454A-854B-408B-914F-C5F4CD9CF576.jpeg Harley KN95 Black side.jpg

The main reason I bring this up is because my recent learnings from Josh and Dave helped me understand what the KN-95 masks are. Prior I was suspicious if they come from overseas. They do look more comfortable and has the KN-95 spec. I can’t find anything on where the VP’s mask is from. Maybe it’s a secret. :) But perhaps it doesn't matter. I also say many athletes at the Olympics wearing similar looking masks as well as other world leaders.

After Josh brought up Bona Fide Masks, and reading up on the KN-95, I‘m thinking I’ll buy a few to try. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What's new about that is it is a stated intention.

I know we have hard and fast rules about political discussion so I won't get into specifics, but I think we can agree that while many rules were enforced and ceased nationally at different times, it's rarely (if ever) with the stated intention that there's a plan around it to still treat it as a serious health issue (along with a support structure and plan) while acknowledging that we aren't going to be able to live in a permanent state of lockdown and masking.

It's also news in that, whether one likes or agrees with California's overall political leanings, one in nine Americans live here, and if we are starting this strategy, it's a potential blueprint for others to follow.

Well, I guess I just don't see that being anything different than how things have been (at least over here in most of the Northeast anyway) for at least the last half a year or so, if not longer.

IMHO, stated intentions really mean nothing at all in politics, except maybe to win some votes perhaps. Maybe if they actually pass some law (that can either be enforced or challenged or whatever) or at least create some definite, reasonably transparent, new role(s)/office(s) (w/ whatever accompanying expenses) specifically for the "new" agenda, THEN that'd be different... not that I necessarily want such a new law and/or admin office, etc...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

If this is what the NE has been officially doing, stated by a governmental authority, then bravo. CNN and other news outlets seem to think CA is among the first to officially shift into this strategy. I get that most of this may have seemed like "common sense" but just because it made sense to you, or a bunch of family and friends, it isn't the same as when a governmental body has said "this is our strategy moving forward".

If that difference is not apparent to you, then let us agree to disagree.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
After Josh brought up Bona Fide Masks, and reading up on the KN-95, I‘m thinking I’ll buy a few to try. :)

The Powcom KN-95 is what I wear (with a cloth mask over the top). In fact, I just ordered an additional 30 of the Powcom KN-95 in black.

Mark

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
On another note...I was in our local pharmacy picking up some 'scrips for my wife, and they were supplying free N95 masks. Three (together in a bag) for each member in a household. So, I picked up two bags. My wife and I are fine with wearing surgical masks, but it's nice to have something more protective around in case we should need it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw home antigen tests at Big Lots a couple nights ago. $10 for one test.

They also had KN95 masks. I forget the size of the package or specific price, but I seem to recall it worked out to about $1 per mask.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I burned one of my free tests this morning. I woke up in the middle of the night with a slightly sore throat. And I had a meeting this morning with colleagues from around the country. I knew I wasn’t sick — it was some combo of weather changes and taking a lot in a bunch of meetings this week and just stress — but I didn’t *know* I wasn’t sick. So I did a test so I could get a negative and not be back-of-my-mind anxious all day in the meeting.

And it was negative, of course.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I burned one of my free tests this morning. I woke up in the middle of the night with a slightly sore throat. And I had a meeting this morning with colleagues from around the country. I knew I wasn’t sick — it was some combo of weather changes and taking a lot in a bunch of meetings this week and just stress — but I didn’t *know* I wasn’t sick. So I did a test so I could get a negative and not be back-of-my-mind anxious all day in the meeting.

And it was negative, of course.
Better safe than sorry.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I finally got around to ordering those free in-home rapid tests just about a week ago... and just now unexpectedly received shipping confirmation already for Monday delivery. Thought it might take forever given the long delays so many have experienced...

_Man_

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I had to use a couple of home test kits recently, too. I got sick last week with what must have just been a bad cold, but I wanted to be sure. It was negative, but I took a second test five or six days later when I wasn't getting better as quickly as I hoped. Still negative. Our pharmacy was giving out tests in addition to the tests we got through the mail, so we have plenty.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Powcom KN-95 is what I wear (with a cloth mask over the top). In fact, I just ordered an additional 30 of the Powcom KN-95 in black.

Mark

You can never be too cautious. :).

I ordered the free in home rapid covid tests too from the Government and I got my two tests this past week. I can also get them at work.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It has been announced in Ontario that vaccine passports will be over in early March. For now we each have a code which must be scanned in order to enter restaurants. For some reason, a few places have trouble with mine on my phone although my wife's works fine. Now I am getting people at the door try a few times, and if it doesn't work they just wave me on and say something like "Oh well, I see that you have it. It's going to be over soon anyway"!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Last week I ordered the second round of free at-home tests and received them in 4 days. The first round we received were the iHealth brand of antigen tests (2 boxes of 2 tests each). This time we received the Siemens Clinitest brand, a single box containing 5 tests. The Siemens has a better expiration date. The iHealth tests we received expire in June. The Siemens tests expire in November.

Last night was my monthly Magic Club meeting. My wife joined me. We wore just our KN95 masks (no second cloth mask) during the meeting. I removed my mask entirely when I was on stage to perform my routine. After the meeting, a group of about 20 of us went to Denny's. My wife and I and one other person wore our masks inside Denny's. All three of us removed our masks (briefly) to take sips of beverages (we did not order any food). That's about as risky as we've been since this all started.

I have to admit I'm getting a bit more comfortable about not wearing a mask. But I read that infections are rising in Europe again because of loosening mask requirements. That, plus the new Omicron 2 (BA.2) variant, which is supposedly more contagious than the original Omicron.

Mark

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Just returned from a CVS. Got my fourth Covid shot. The pharmacist agreed with me that it most likely will wind up a yearly shot, just the flu shot. At least you can take 'em both in the same trip.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We went to Denny's with a dozen other members of my magic club after our meeting last night. My wife and I were a bit hungry so we ordered some food. So, last night marked the first time in over 2 years we've had a meal inside a restaurant without social distancing measures in place. We removed our masks only long enough to eat and then put the masks back on.

Case rates are rising in many areas. But this time, the rate of new infections might not be as well documented as 6 months ago. Our HMO has taken down its outdoor PCR testing tents at all of its locations. Simply too few people going in for a PCR test because they have home test kits to use. The "silent surge" in new cases has begun.

Mark

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The changes probably also point to reduced severity of cases w/ the recent variant/wave or two in part also because of people becoming/being better immunized/resistant whether via vaccinations (and boosters in many cases) or natural buildup, etc...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I expected this trip at least to still be under the mandatory mask rule. But that was flipped from last night’s surprise overturn of the rule. I have mixed feelings on this.

My business travel resumed last Fall. I was in favor of the mandatory mask rule. Airplanes were *full*. Airports were *packed*. Intra-airport trams were as full as I’d seen them the past five years. Masks were good.

But masks on airplanes for 5+ hr flights over a meal were obnoxious. I had to swap from an N95 to a cloth mask with ear straps, to then constantly take an ear strap on and off when eating and drinking. I’ve been scolded at least once by an attendant for forgetting to replace my mask literally in between sips.

Sitting in Economy, that is.

In Business / First class, it’s masks off for everyone for a relaxing half hour, served hot, plated dinner.

Because the mask rules were inconsistently applied and enforced between flights and between socio-economic classes.

This morning, it was nice to not bother with the mask in the empty parking garage elevator or in the quarter-mile walk down the massive hall to the terminal which had all of four people spaced far apart.

But I put on my N95 as I entered the Terminal. It’s a Tuesday, and is not as busy as I expected: I’d feel comfortable taking my mask off sitting at my gate with the nearest person 20’ away.

On the plane, I’ll wear my mask. But I will appreciate being able to take it off to eat and not worry about getting reminded by a vigilant attendant in the chattel class to put it on immediately after nibbling a cashew

I planned to postpone my 2nd booster to the Fall when I guess the next big wave, if there is one, will emerge. But travel pragmatics might motivate me to get it sooner than later.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I planned to postpone my 2nd booster to the Fall when I guess the next big wave, if there is one, will emerge.

What I’m finding, sadly, is that it seems the next wave is here in the NY area at least. I’ve known more people that have gotten covid in the past two weeks than the past two years. Our numbers seem to have equalled the worst of the Delta peak and still seem on the rise.

Meanwhile, there seems to be no urgency with getting the vaccine approved for the under 5 crowd, and none of the therapeutics developed thus far are appropriate for use in that age group. While there are now some wonderful tools to help adults who get sick, there’s no equivalent for younger children.

It’s a frustrating moment for parents with young children and/or people in high risk categories.

The bright spot on the horizon is with the weather changing for the better, outdoor activities are returning and that does make a huge difference in quality of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks