What's new

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The US is providing another round of free at-home COVID test kits:

You get 8 this time out - comes in 2 shipments.

Looks like you can make multiple requests if it's your first or second time requesting the free kits.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Same here. We’ve been using them lately. My daughter (6th grade) had three separate close contact notices just last week and I was cleaning out my Mom’s garage with help from a neighbor a couple weeks ago and she tested positive 2 days later. So far, knock on wood, all our collective tests have been negative.

(My neighbor is fine now. Just a couple of days of cold like symptom.)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Because of asbestos removal scheduled for our Apartment Building's hallway on our floor starting next week on the day after Victoria Day, I cancelled my Banting House volunteer shift for this Tuesday past, as we will have nowhere to properly self isolate next week (We're expected to be out of the building during the day, while they work!) should I bring COVID home! I am keeping my already previously delayed Doctor's appointment (The physician couldn't be in for the one originally scheduled for last week!) for this afternoon, however. Thankfully, mask wearing is still in effect in their building, and the waiting area has never been anywhere close to full any time I've been there. Knock on wood!

The asbestos removal for our floor is expected to take 4 days.

CHEERS! :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The extra test kits came at a good time. I used 4 tests while I was at the big Magic Convention in Las Vegas. I tested myself every morning, before interacting with anyone else. Thankfully, all four times the tests were negative. A friend asked me what I would have done if I tested positive. Answer: I would have packed my belongings and headed home. I would have used the telephone in my room to check out with the front desk and walked to my car with as minimal interaction with anyone else as possible. While in the elevator, I would have warned anyone else preparing to enter the elevator that I just tested positive. I would have informed the front desk of my positive test so they could help protect any housekeeping staff that would be entering the room after I left. And, of course, I would have continued to wear my KN95 mask until I was alone in my car.

Since I did not test positive, I was able to stay for the whole convention. I wore my KN95 mask 100% of the time when I was near others. I used a brand new mask each morning. (Because the elastic loops on the masks are tighter when new, I now have an indentation in the top of one ear that is somewhat inflamed and slightly painful.) I ate all of my meals in my own room. I used room service for breakfast each morning and grabbed food from the food court to take back to my room for lunch and dinner.

A very small percentage of the 1,600 attendees were wearing masks. I'd say maybe 2-3%. I have zero doubt that some COVID got spread at the event. But I am equally confident that I was not one of the spreaders.

Mark

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am finally going in for a knee replacement Tuesday after waiting since before covid. The steps I had to take and the pre-op phone calls were numerous. I thought I was finished.

Today it was two calls. One — did I want to participate in a study (NO!), and Two — since I use a CPAP machine, I have to have a covid swab (?).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The event organizer just emailed all attendees to thank them for attending. He also mentioned that a handful of cases of COVID have been reported (believed to have been caught at the event) and encouraged everyone to get tested.

A month ago, San Diego County was reporting about 100 new cases per day. Last Friday, the report was 500 new cases (in one day). Yesterday, San Diego County reported 1,500 new cases.

And that's just the cases that are being reported. Thanks to home test kits, I'm betting that only about 25% of new cases are getting reported. Two of our friends have it right now (wife got it at work, gave it to her husband). She's already improving but he has a really bad cough. They are both vaxed and got their first booster. They did NOT get the 2nd booster and they mostly stopped wearing masks after the first booster. Oops.

It is possible the variant they have is BA.4 or BA.5. The County is now reporting both of those variants have been found in increasing numbers in the County.

Mark

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Although I am still not anywhere near as socially active as I was 2 1/2 years ago, I will admit I've been going out mask-free for quick trips to the grocery store, record store, outdoor restaurant dining, etc. Nowhere where I was exposed to someone outside of my "inner circle" for very long, so I've felt relatively safe (and I test 2X a week for work so I know I've been covid free this whole time).

Even at the height of the pandemic it was rare for me to personally know 2-3 infected people at any one time, often 1 or less, because of the precautions my workplace takes, and the type of friends I have (socially conscious, all got the vaccines, and all took the protocols seriously).

However now I know at least 5 who are infected. Thankfully all were boosted, none are eligible for 2nd booster, and all are having mild symptoms (one even kicked it in four days, sometimes the flu keeps me down even longer than that). None of them are the grossly irresponsible type, but I'm sure most were like me, feeling more relaxed about mask wearing. Couple that with what I'm reading that the new variants out there don't seem to be causing more serious disease, and while the original vaccines are less effective at preventing transmission, but are still effective at greatly reducing the chance for serious disease, I'm going to start taking my mask out with me again for anything that is going to be more than a quick flyby to pick up food to-go.

Clark Green

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Clark Green
We had to go to ER a couple of weeks ago and while in one of the 5 mini open rooms waiting for doctor I heard a nurse next us tell a man he was positive with covid. Nobody said anything to anybody in the area, we had those crappy blue masks on but that was it. No issues with either of us nor did we bother testing.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Have a friend that was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a few days after his 65th birthday. He started chemotherapy last week and tested positive for COVID 2 days later. He's already taking an antiviral and reports feeling pretty good today. It looks like he'll only have to delay continued chemotherapy by one week.

But, holy shoot... when it rains it pours. Amazingly, he is in good spirits, that is his nature. If I ever have to face adversity like he is currently facing it, I hope I can do it with even half the grace and positive attitude that he is demonstrating.

Mark

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So my wife was feeling bad last night, like she was getting a cold or her allergies were flaring up. I tested her with a rapid test and she was negative so she went on to work. About 5:00 this morning, she called me from her job with chills, severe headache, body aches, chest tightness, and a terrible cough. I masked up and went over to her job with a thermometer and some rapid tests. She had a 102° fever and tested positive. I tested myself and got a negative result but stayed home from work anyway to quarantine for the weekend. So far, I’ve just had a little congestion which is normal for me when the weather keeps rapidly changing from hot and dry to cool and damp.

After getting home, I gave her some Tylenol and a vitamin C / zinc combo for all the good that’ll do. I’ve also started the vitamin C / zinc regimen.

We’re both double vaxxed and boosted so hopefully I can avoid catching it and she won’t get any worse.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks. Me too. I have too much going on at work and felt really guilty and a bit ashamed for calling out today so I could quarantine and keep others safe. It’s how I was raised (don’t call out sick, ever, for any reason… ever) so, even though I know it’s the right thing to do, I still feel awful for doing it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks. Me too. I have too much going on at work and felt really guilty and a bit ashamed for calling out today so I could quarantine and keep others safe. It’s how I was raised (don’t call out sick, ever, for any reason… ever) so, even though I know it’s the right thing to do, I still feel awful for doing it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I totally get that. My mom would not let my brothers and I stay home sick from school for pretty much any reason and that carried with me into my adult life for a long time. I have a lot of ridiculous stories about being sent to school when I shouldn’t have been but I’ll try not to tell them all. I remember one particular time where the school nurse got into a screaming match with my mother because she was refusing to pick me up when I was obviously sick and contagious, and the nurse had to make it clear that I couldn’t stay. I don’t even really blame my mom - that’s how she herself had been raised and it was just ingrained in her psyche. It’s a really hard thing to break out of.

But if you can somehow rewire your brain to not beat yourself up over it (easier said than done, trust me, I know) it can be very liberating. It’s only relatively recently that I’ve started using my sick days instead of working while sick and miserable and though I occasionally still feel a leftover pang of guilt, now when I get sick it doesn’t take as long to recover because I’m able to get proper rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bytor104
Recent bookmarks