What's new

How are Audiosource subs? (1 Viewer)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, I know everyone is going to say to buy SVS or some other brand. Simply I can't afford to spend $900+ on a sub. My max limit is probably $300. Saving up for a house!

While asking around my friend who moved away has an Audiosource SW15 for sale. Reviews on the web are promising for the price..$150-$200. It seems to get better when you stuff it with pollyfill.

My questions are...What quality are the subs for their $$, and how tough will it be to take the driver out and stuff the box?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Thanks Dustin, ... here's my $0.25 cents worth (use to be $0.05 - adjusted for inflation)
Correctly positioning a sub-woofer is the hardest part of installing one.
Because the wavelengths in question are long (some as long as 50 feet) the position of a sub-woofer is hard to localize, but it must be stressed that it is still a point source with the soundwaves radiating out from it. Moving a sub-woofer out from it's typical placement in a corner, can change the amplitude of standing waves and either increase or decrease the amount of bass perceived at your listening position. ...
The best position is not necessarily the one with the loudest bass, but the position with the smoothest bass. LucasFilm describe non-flat bass as having a "hooty" or "one-note" quality.
... Careful room extension & Audio REF Calibration will seamlessly add the sub to your HT speakers without the undesirable boomy or bloated attributes. My SW15 served me well until SVS introduced the Improved and lower priced SVS ;) So, I replaced my 2-1/2 year old AudioSource with the SVS 25-31PCi and you can read my comparison review @ this HTF thread.
The AudioSource SW15 is a keeper though & I replaced my JBL sub @ my vacation house with the AudioSource SW15!! Now I can shake the spiders off the bottom floorboards and dust off the fireplace while we're watching my Blockbuster DVD's @ REF Level after a hard day hiking or during the winter, skiing! :D
Phil

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Tom, if you can up your max to $325, you can get a used HSU VTF2, which is commonly regarded as the best sub-$500, if not sub-$700, sub on the market. Take a look at places like Audiogon, Audioweb and ebay for these deals.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I use the SW-15 in my bedroom. I completely lined mine with foam from Home Depot. It became an outstanding sub. You can't beat it. Knock on the outside before you fill it, then knock on it after you fill it and hear the difference.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sub $500 I could go for. Sub $700 no. The Dharman, numerous subs that could be built by Acoustic Visions and Rutledge Audio as well as many subs from SVS that would out perform the VTF2 fit in the sub $700 range.

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my Audiosource SW15, and while it's not as boomy as some say it is, I still would like to see if I could tweak it a little. My local radioshacks don't carry polyfill and there are no walmarts around here. Would you mind listing some places where I can get this stuff? Will, exactly what kind of "foam" are you using from Home Depot? I've never heard of this approach.

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Any fabric store should have the poly fill. Its the stuffing for pillows. I also have two sw15's and have done the mod. They are an awesome pair for 350.00 total.:emoji_thumbsup:

SamN

Agent
I have an SW12 that I got from Amazon with a free GC. Total to me was about $20 bucks. Mine has been great, I know it could be better, but for under $200 I think it is an excellent deal. I would use the polyfill on it though, it does make a difference. Also, they come with a 5 year warranty. I had trouble with mine and had no problem getting the speaker replaced.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
Yep, we built a DVC 15" powered sub veneered in oak and stained black, a 15m cable, delivered it, set it up, and wiped drool off the customer's chin for under $900, IIRC! The Haunting at reference levels was mighty fun, but we had to get outta there before his wife killed us! ;)
Brian

Geno

Supporting Actor
Tom, and anyone looking for a sub:
check this out
Link Removed
I shouldnt put this up cause Im goin to bid to but I thoght others would get ecxited too.
I am not auctioning this so I thought I could post this.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I remember seeing brand new velodynes for $199 ct-10 (older model). It originaly went for $399 !!..see if you could still find one !!

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff...

What I'm using is the foam to insulate a house, to keep it warm. When I went to Home Depot, the guy I was talking with happened to be into HT. He took me and showed me what to get. It's already lined on a big sheet, you measure/cut to your likeing, and then glue to every side inside the sub (top and bottom). It made a big difference. I have two Velodyne's in my listening room, and the SW-15 didn't do bad at all. Two of them would have better in my big room. In my bedroom, it kicks ass.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Tom the plate amp it's self is practically worth $150. If you do not like the sub it would be no problem selling it for probably more.
Buy, Buy, Buy!!!!!!!!!!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks