S- video and sub questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by forest_y, Dec 2, 2003.

1. forest_y

forest_y Auditioning

i searched and couldn't find the answer to these could someone help?
    i was just wondering what the diffrence was between the s-video and just normal a/v output and inputs were. how should i connect everything?
    i have pioneer vsx-v812 reciever
    dvd player w/ s-video and rca out
    Khl tv w/ 2 a/v and one s-video input

also i just bought the audiosource 230 surround system
    the sub is 8' AND 100 watt. it only has the rca L and R input so i split my recievers one rca into it like your site says. But it doesn't pound as much as i'd like it to. i hooked it directly to my dvd audio outs and it plays loud. can i make this one louder somehow comming from my reciever or would it be better to get a jensen 12" 100 watt with the single imput?

2. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

try using the speaker outputs to the sub.......thats the way i have 2 of mine, plenty of bass. Good Luck. [​IMG] [​IMG] BTW..you said you connected it to the DVD audio outputs? How do you control the volume?

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Forest.

S-Video splits the video signal into two parts: color and brightness (the actual terms are a bit different, but this is the concept). The regular RCA video connection called ‘composite’ carry all of the video information in a single signal. The picture quality should be noticeably better with S-Video, but it will depend on your DVD player and TV.

Don’t expect too much from your 8”, 100 watt sub. I would recommend looking at alternatives if you are not satisfied with what you have.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

6. forest_y

forest_y Auditioning

thnks