What's new

House of the Dead: Worst film ever? (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I only saw the documentary of this film when I bought the Xbox game. I see it is finally released. It looked typical. Not sure what you guys expect from this type of movie based off a video game.

I still contend that The English Patient is the worst movie ever.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've actually seen Tenticles. I've also seen Shocking Asia, She-Male Strokers 5, and a possibly legitimate snuff film. And they are all better films than HOTD. They are all more distastful, certainly, and in the case of SMS5 or Nekromantik 2 you have to question the nature of sanity at times, but I'd still have yet to discover a movie I loath more than House Of The Dead.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

I agree 100%. I think that the Seinfeld episode regarding that very subject is one of the best. When I saw the title of this thread I thought the English Patient was worse.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was tempted to watch a few movies over at www.cinemanow.com . With the free trial I was able to watch such masterworks as Bug Buster, Alien Terminator, In the Dead of Space and (OMG!!) Nukie.

I challenge any of you to go to the website, register for the free Trial Week, watch Nukie and then come back here and tell me it's a better film than House of the Dead.

Any takers? :D

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Scott, there are few experiences a human can go through that are worse than Nukie. It makes me ill to think that people might tie up an internet connection for hours or days to download it. For a second there I thought you meant those were the only options for movies to watch over your trial period. Talk about setting a business up to fail!

I don't think you guys were in the right spirit for HotD. It's not nearly that the worst ever, and can be some fun in their excesses and low budget nature.

I think its worth it at least to see Clint Howard embarrass himself.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

I've no doubt that these are some terrible films, but I've never heard of any of them and doubt any had theatrical releases...there are hundreds of similar DTV titles out there which are probably just as bad.

HOTD, on the other hand, was given a theatrical run and I just saw the DVD being hawked on t.v....what a bold, ballsy move! Watching vomit dry would be preferable to watching HOTD!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"House of the Dead" was easily the worst "film" of 2003. I couldn't believe that I sat through the whole thing.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this movie over the weekend and I can't believe this movie isn't getting more love. Mark my words...this movie will be a cult favorite like Evil Dead 2 or Return of the Living Dead in about 10 to 15 years.

The script is terrible, the acting is bad, the zombies are bad, there is no plot, and there are tons of cheesy moments in the film. But as someone mentioned earlier...this movie is not a serious zombie movie (if there is such a thing). As for being scared...are there really any scary movies anymore that deal with subjects like this?

In HOTD, tongue is firmly planted in cheek from the get-go. There are 80's movies moments such as the gratuitous nudity & teeny-boppers making out even when zombies are attacking them. Mix that with Matrix & slow-mo shots, add techno/dance music & then add a hiliarious script and you have a new cult classic.

Most bad movies now have no charm. This one oozed charm...which is why I think it will be popular on down the line. The 5 or 10 minute part in the middle with the hip-hop "house of the dead" song thundering as the kids turn into karate/weapons experts had me almost cheering. The chicks are hot and the guys are dumb. Does it get any better?

What can I say? This movie was much more FUN to watch than Underworld, Freddy Vs Jason, House of 1000 Corpses, Beyond Re-Animator and other recent flicks of this nature. Matrix Reloaded makes this film look like Shakespeare (and HOTD doesn't bore you to death between action sequences like MR!).

Anyway...just wanted to give my 2 cents. I look forward to adding this movie to my collection. I can't say I have felt that way about many movies lately. And check this post in about 10 years to see if I was right.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I thought it was entertaining in a roll your eyes kind of way. As for worst movie ever, I think Showgirls would still have to be champion of that ring.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor

There's one major mark against your argument... Evil Dead and Return of the Living Dead are good movies. HotD is pure crap.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
BrianS, as a die hard zombie head, I would have agreed with you had not the producers of HOTD inserted the ridiculous video game footage into the film! I can appreciate even a "bad" zombie movie, but this was just too much. I can honestly say that "House of 1000 Corpses" and "Cabin Fever" were better than that piece of trash, and those two films, IMHO, were pretty crappy. At least "Evil Dead 2" and ROTLD all had redeeming value. HOTD, IMO, had none.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor

I see where you're going... both of these films are tongue-in-cheek type films where you're not supposed to take any of it seriously and just enjoy the ride. The problem is both of these films have competent filmmaking. HotD goes for that tongue-in-cheek vibe, but is so poorly made on every level that it fails miserably.

I went into this hearing that it was the worst film of the year... and it exceded every expectation. I've heard this about many films, and have been able to enjoy them on some level. I love cheesy, low-budget horror films, with terrible scripts, terrible acting and mediocre filmmaking. HotD tries hard, it has some of the right elements, the wink-wink script, Clint Howard, and some great looking zombies. But I just can't get past how badly this thing is put together. Maybe if they got a new editor on this thing, they could pull out something fun, because there is some stuff there... but damn, that'd be a tough job.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Get rid of the damn video game footage and I would probably add this to my collection of Zombie genre films, no matter how bad......heck I even have the deplorable "Zombie Lake."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks