What's new

Horror hosts of the 60's - 70's (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Does anyone know if any of the horror hosts have released anything to DVD? Guys like, The Ghoul, Zacherly, etc... Son of Ghoul has stuff on VHS but not DVD. I would love to see these guys again.
Todd

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see Zacherly again. I haven't seen his show since growing up with early New York television back in the day.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Zacherly has just recently been to the recording studio, btw.
Joining forces with nearly legendary producer, Bruce Kimmel and Scarlet Street Magazine publishers Richard Valley and Tom Amorosi, Zacherly recorded some intros for the upcoming cd, JEEEPERS CREEPERS: GREAT SONGS FROM HORROR FILMS on May 30th and June 1st in New York City.
Bruce lined up his usual array of musicasl theater people (he was responsible for quite a few of the Varese Sarabande *Spotlight* series) for this: Christianne Noll doing "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte," Judy Kaye with "The Song of the Wine" (it's from one of those MUMMY movies), Rebecca Luker with JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH'S "The Faithful Heart," Guy Haines doing "Look to a Star," Brent Barrett crooning "Stella by Starligbt," Alison Fraser going after "The Blob," Theresa Finmore and Juliana A. Hansen grabbing "Mothra's Song," Lynette Perry has "Goody Goody," 14 year old Remy Zaken and Katherine Helmond have "I've Written a Letter to Daddy"/"Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" and Susan Gordon made her recording debut with ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE'S "Dolly Song," which she introduced in that film.
Sounds like a great album; one that will be exclusive to Scarlet Street readers for a while, before going wide.
In the meantime, Pittsburgh's horror host, Chilly Bill Cardille can be seen on dvd in George A. Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
While not exactly 70's, I always thought it would be fun to have collections of COMMANDER USA'S GROOVIE MOVIES.:)

Ron Morgan

Agent
Sounds like a great album; one that will be exclusive to Scarlet Street readers for a while, before going wide.
Just a clarificaton, "Jeepers Creepers" will be available to anyone, Scarlet Street readers/subscribers or not, but it will ONLY be sold from the Street for six months.

Even though he was aimed more to the younger kids (of which I was one when I started watching), I'd love to see some Sir Graves Ghastly on DVD.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For us growing up in Northern California, it would be great to get Bob Wilkins (Creature Features & Captain Cosmic) on DVD.

Now that would be something!

TonyDale

Second Unit
Just a clarificaton, "Jeepers Creepers" will be available to anyone, Scarlet Street readers/subscribers or not, but it will ONLY be sold from the Street for six months.
Thanks, Ron, that, of course is what I meant to say. No matter how you look at it, the album is something to look forwards to. . .

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Damn, Ron, good call on the Sir Graves Ghastly. I grew up in Toledo and watched him on Channel 2. I loved Son of Svengoolie from Chicago as well (on Detroit's Channel 50). You'd think stations could cut together specials about these guys for fans but it's anyone's guess what's still in their archives and what condition it's in).

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mark, Me Too!
Your last name is familiar, did you go to Regina Coeli??? There was a Shirley Cappelletty in my class
A long shot but hey
The ghoul was great... Parma jokes and all

DanHaya

Second Unit
I know that since I'm a Gen-Xer, I missed out on some of the great horror hosts of the past...but for my money, no one was better than the local host in Tampa, Dr. Paul Bearer. He hosted "Creature Feature" up until the early 90's, when it was dumped for other programming...but he would show not only the classic films, but also the B-grade stuff of Ed Wood and others. From what I have learned, he was the longest-running horror movie show host in American television history!

I still remember the day back in the 80's when the King Kong balloon (that had been up on top of the Empire State Building to mark the film's 50th anniversary in 1983) made it's tour stop here in Tampa. It was hung from a 20-story hotel building, but was stuck by lightning during a thunderstorm and popped! The only part that was left was one of the forearms and hand. In his infinite wisdom, Dr. Paul Bearer hosted a funeral service the next day on "Creature Feature", complete with crying gorillas and eulogies. I even went down there myself to pay my respects! lol

Unfortunately, Dick Bennick (a.k.a. Dr. Paul Bearer) passed away in 1995, but his memnory lives on in countless horror and sci-fi fans everywhere! There are plenty of resources on the net if you'd like to know more about him and the show. He was the best!

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Svengoolie from Chicago!! How many grade B movies did I sit thru with him, as he threw rubber chickens around? Ahhh, the good old days! (was that how it was spelled?)

Dan

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
From what I have learned, he was the longest-running horror movie show host in American television history!
Actually, Cleveland's own Big Chuck is the longest running (and still on) host. He started as Big Chuck and Hoolihan and now is Big Chuck and Little John (his partner Hoolihan left to record Bible tapes in Fla.). The've been on since the early - mid 70's and are still showing new shows every saturday.

Todd

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I'm assuming you already read Psychotronic magazine, but just in case you don't, that's an excellent resource for such things (as well as the best magazine of its kind, IMO.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks