What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping Help Please (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm still reading (and enjoying) the updates, Max. Perhaps I living vicariously through your shopping spree until I can go on one of my own
wink.gif

------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Basic Premise....Free Passes have been given out all over town to an Opening of a Movie theater that has just be renovated. Many of the viewers are turned into Demons durring the movie.
What a fantastic idea/metaphor! I really like it. It reminds me of Ash's hand in the classic Evil Dead 2.
On a side note, I recently caught the Wicker Man. Though I understood its appeal, I was disappointed. I really hated all of that singing. And I saw that ending a mile away. It seems to me to be a bad movie masquerading as a good movie.
B-gore seems more honest. Either it recognizes its stature and confesses its mediocrity from the start; or it becomes better because it is so sincere and earnest. I find either more inviting than pretense. (The reviews for Maniac seem to suggest that it is among the latter, so I may end up purchasing it regardless of how bad it is.)
Keep'um coming Max!
------------------
SAM

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Oh, I was in agreement with you Max! I just said that because I thought that your pharse would sound funny to someone who didn't share our enthusiasm for these movies.
Anyway, I'm glad that they are so cheap. I'll be on the prowl at Best Buy if you need me...
laugh.gif

Edited to correct gramar. er, grammar. :)
Best,
Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on August 10, 2001 at 01:40 PM]

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Run, don't walk to get Demons II. Not quite as atmospheric as Demons I -- it takes place in an apartment building that doesn't have quite the frisson of a movie theater -- but very entertaining!!

M

MaxY

Well I did some more shoping today because I went looking for Demons II and did not find it but I did get ...
Sorority House Massacre II
NightWatch
A Danish Horror Flick I remember hearing about
And two More Bava's Boy (Lamberto Bava) movies.
A Blade in the Dark
and Macabre
So Consider me reloaded. :D
Now I know we were kidding before about making our own low budget gore flick but I was thinking some more one that one....
I figured the thing that needs to get down first is a story/script and then boom
lightning.gif
it hit me...
smiley_idea.gif

I have now got an idea for such an original horror/gore movie that works so well with the low budget realm I don't even dare post it here.
I want to know does anyone know how to protect an idea/script from being stolen. I am afraid that if I talked about this one in a public forum I would be buying the DVD next year.
What I want to know is how can you publicly discuss an Idea without fear of it being stolen. Well I guess all I can say is for better or worse
I am planing to write a script of it
While it seems a long shot that I will ever get to use it, if I don't try to follow this idea then I am assured it will die.
So now who is on board? Anybody with any experince in films?
I am thinking I might need to approach a company like Troma about getting it made once the script is done unless I find a few knowledgable people to work with. :)
Oh Well More later
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
[Edited last by MaxY on August 10, 2001 at 06:23 PM]
[Edited last by MaxY on August 10, 2001 at 06:25 PM]

Knut

Auditioning
For those wanting to pick up some of the Japanese "classics" check out the Dutch company Japan Shock Video although some of their titles are PAL and Region 2 many are NTSC and Region 0.
One place to pick up the discs in question (Japan Shock doesn't sell direct to consumers) is Sazuma but be aware that they sometimes take a looong time to deliver.
------------------
Knut
The sum of my addiction
[Edited last by Knut on August 10, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Max:
You CANNOT discuss an idea publically without it being stolen. In fact, you can hardly circulate a spec script around this town without having it stolen, particularly if you don't have an agent.
You also don't necessarily have to write a script to sell it. If you have a sufficiently compelling concept, you may be able to sell it on the basis of a pitch document. But, of course, that is harder to do if you don't have any other scripts to your credit.
But remember, a film student here in LA about a year ago sold a one-sentence concept to one of the studios for $30K! A fluke, but a notably profitable one.

M

MaxY

Bob,
I am not sure what the interest in an a new idea for horror film would be nowadays since this concept should be a splaterfest like those from the past.
Fact is if someone were interested in doing something new in the Horror Gore genre that has not really been done before this would be it. In Fact I would bet that it would be hailed as being quite original.
I even think it is the kind of thing that could turn into a franchise easily enough though sequels would obviously loose some of the surprise aspect of the first one.
This Idea is so suited to the LA area it would be incredible to do out there. I think it could be done on a shoestring budget without losing artistic intent and could easily be cast as well with no names. I could see it doing a Blair Witch type thing getting an Buzz going and then going through the roof at the box office as the buzz picked up.
I think a Horror movie can hold maybe one week or two at tops without any good word of mouth but I would promise people would come out of the wood work when they started hearing about it.
If need be I could sum it up in a few sentences for a Hollywood type pitch but I have much more then that in my head allready.
Where I am at now. I allready have a title, An idea for a Pre-movie scene, then into an set of opening scenes which will end up with a scene designed to run under the credits and then a quick transition into the slow set up of the movie that will leave the viewer a little (Perhaps more then a little ) confused. Then a transition to a point where the people in the film start to figure out that things are not as they appear and the a little transition when the viewer realizes there is something not quite right. I don't have a hard fast idea for the resolution scene of the mayhem but I do have an excellent idea for an ending scene that will leave the viewers both sickened and Chuckling at the sametime.
It is the kind of thing that Argento would love and could eat up and if I could tell it to you other horror fans here you would think Damn why has no one thought of that before.
Of the people I have talked to about they were all floored with how great it was. One of the key points is selling the viewer on how shallow the movie is and then in a quick turn the bottom will drop out from under them as they discover it was not what they thought it was.
ARGHH!! it is killing me not to just blurt it out. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

[Edited last by MaxY on August 10, 2001 at 10:38 PM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
As much as I would love to know what your movie idea is, Max, I have to agree: Don't mention it here and get an agent.
I don't have any other advice, but if you do happen to film in Los Angeles, I can tell you where to find a gal who wouldn't mind at all being covered in red karo syrup or being asked to play with animal guts
wink.gif

------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

M

MaxY

Oh My I went on another spree this morning to add to what I picked up yesterday.
Still no Demons II yet but today I added
don't Torture a Duckling
The Reptile (Hammer for $4.99)
the Johnsons ($4.99)
Zombie Lake
Oasis of the Zombies
Madman
and something called
Mechinical Violator Hakaider (Not sure what to expect here but it is from Toyko Shock)
Wow going on a Horror/gore binge has been great fun. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Wow, Max!
eek.gif
What a lot of movies! Do you ever purchase online? Personally, i am usually too impatient to wait for the mail!
blush.gif

------------------
SAM

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find it as it may be OOP a movie titled Grandmothers House. There is also Scanners coming out in a couple of weeks.

M

MaxY

Sam,
I guess we are alike in that we both want instant gratification. I can't wait for mail too. :)
Trevor,
Wizard of Gore is out and I picked it up earlier though I have not watched it yet. There were 3 other Hershel Gordon Lewis Movies I did pick up at the same time about a week and half ago and I did post earlier in the thread about those.]
As for Scanners I will get that.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
What about "The Wizard Of Gore" and "Chopping Mall" I have not seen them in years, are they out on DVD?
The Wizard Of Gore is available as a SE at Amazon.com
Release Information:
Studio: Image Entertainment
Theatrical Release Date: January 1, 1970
DVD Release Date: April 4, 2000
Run Time: 95 minutes
Production Company: Image Entertainment
Package Type: Snap Case
Aspect Ratio(s):
Full Screen (Standard) - 1.33:1
Discographic Information:
DVD Encoding: All Regions
Layers: Single
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
Edition Details:
• All Regions
• Color
• Commentary by director Herschell Gordon Lewis
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• Herschell Gordan Lewis Gallery of Exploitation Art
• ASIN: B00004S89C
Unfortunately, Chopping Mall does not seem to be available.
But where is SK's IT?
------------------
SAM

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Max, your knowledge is encyclopedic! Your collection must be something! (The link to the list is down.)
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Edit: Nevermind. I got it to work.
blush.gif

[Edited last by Samuel Des on August 11, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Max I noticed you picked up Madman.....I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this one....I felt it had a decent amount of gore and good atmosphere. It is one of the better early 80's slasher flicks...I would rank it behind F13th and The Burning as my favorites of the summer camp/slasher movies.

M

MaxY

Sam,
According to DVD Profiler I am now just a few DVDs short of 1200.
frown.gif
It is scarey to see how much sapce they take up.
I also need to do an overhaul of my equipment pages. I need to add a third HT room to it and I need to update the sub-woofer in the main room as I just got a new one.
I also need to update the Alternate room equipment list as well. Most likely do it next week.
Erik,
Glad to hear that Madman was worth it. I hope to get to it before the end of the week.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks