What's new

Horror dvd's (1 Viewer)

Josh_L

Auditioning
Hey all,
I havent been following the scene for the past 2 years or so,I must have missed alot of good stuff
I am wondering if some people could recommend some good horror's so i can get my horror collection going again
I have practicly next to nothing so most likely anything you suggest i wont have!
Was there a SE of black christmas put out?Is it any good?
Thanks all :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Hey Josh,

Newline did a wonderful job on their release of Jason X on DVD. Excellent in almost everyway and one that should be picked up. They also did a fine a job on the Jason Goes To Hell release, plus it features the unrated version. (On that same note, Paramount has finished their Friday The 13th titles on DVD, but nothing more than the films itself, if you want extra's look elsewhere...)

Anchor Bay continues to put out fine genre titles. Their Near Dark disc is wonderful, and you can never go wrong with any of their Argento titles...

The Fog was released from Fox with a great Special Edition and the film looks better than ever...

MGM continued on with more in their Midniht Movie series and released some fine Vincent Price features. These shoud be gotten by any fan of horror films, or a movie fan in general. Vincent was a master.

As far as business as usual, we are still waiting for tons of titles to be either released or revisited...Hopefully this gives you some information...

Josh_L

Auditioning
Thx for the reply Chuck L

I'm a big fan of the first few Friday The 13th's,But i have to say that the last few i found myself laughing non stop throughout the entire movie lol.Although i might pick up Jason X/When jason becomes a astronaut hehehe

I actually picked up Near Dark..Good Stuff =]

Good call on the fog,That movie brings back memories,I'll be ordering that one today

Even if the dvd's came out years ago any suggestions would be great guys..and gals of course,I'm definitly into the underground type of horror flicks,yanno..the ones where you don't laugh heheh..no 1 liners..ect ect

thanks again chuck L,And anyone else who cares to make som suggestions =]

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
How about the new "Return of the Living Dead" DVD. It's only in mono, but the picture is pretty sharp. Good movie!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Not a problem Josh...well there are plenty of one-liners in Jason X...but the movie is nothing but fun...so that will be a choice that you will have to make....I would hate to tell you how many times I have seen the movie and it makes me happy everytime....

What about the classics? Rosemary's Baby, Pyscho, Frenzy, The Changling...

OH....check out Brotherhood of The Wolf and Gingersnaps as well....two of the best werewolf films in years and almost in general!

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
SESSION 9

BLADE II

DON'T LOOK NOW

MGM Midnight Movies (especially the Corman-Poe films)

HORROR OF DRACULA

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN

CURSE OF THE DEMON

and most of the Mario Bava DVDs

Josh_L

Auditioning
Thanks again all
I will check out all the links
Chuck L,I just caught gingersnaps on cable the other night,I thought it was pretty good,I'll definitly pick that 1 up sometime soon
actually most of the movies you all have suggested i will be adding to my list with the exception of session 9 wich i have already,Didnt really care for it though.
I want to get more into the gore flicks and older movies,I'm just sick of the newer horrors that are put out these days..they just aren't the same ..too much comedy!heh
Alot of the gore movies are in PAL,now i use to know all this stuff but ive seem to forgot most of it.
Our tv's in the US are NTSC,Now alot of the dvd's at http://www.xploitedcinema.com are PAL but region 0,Having a region free player won't get me where i want to be will it?
Do i even need to do anything special to play PAL dvd's?see what happens when you stay away from the scene for 3-4 years lol,you forget everything

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Hey Josh...if you want some gore, check out the Prowler. Not the best looking thing in the world, but the DVD is as good as it is going to get. Uncut and some nice work from Tom Savini.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I am surely the biggest horror fan on this board, and I can highly recommend the following:

John Carpenter's The Thing SE
The Hitcher
Ginger Snaps (Be sure to get the Canadian disc)
Lord of Illusions (Director's cut)
Videodrome
In the Mouth of Madness
Brain Damage SE
Re-Animator (Milennium Edition)
Suspiria (3 disc SE)
Opera (2 disc SE)
Tenebre
Phenomena
Rosemary's Baby
Black Christmas SE
Dog Soldiers SE
Angel Heart
eXistenZ (Again, be sure to get the Canadian version)
Dead Ringers (Criterion SE)
Crash
Shivers
Rabid
The Dead Zone
Scanners
Cube SE
Ravenous SE
Carnival of Souls (Criterion SE)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 remake)
American Psycho (Director's cut)
Phantasm SE
Audition
Frailty SE
Jacob's Ladder
Se7en (2 disc SE)
The Devil's Backbone
The Vanishing (Criterion)
The Stand SE
The Night Flier
From Dusk Till Dawn SE
Society
Last House on the Left
Dagon SE
The Prowler SE
Shock Waves
Hellraiser 1 & 2
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE
The Evil Dead (Any of the SEs)
Evil Dead II SE
Army of Darkness (Director's cut)
Don't Look Now
Stir of Echoes SE
City of the Living Dead
The New York Ripper
Tourist Trap
The Sentinel
The Wicker Man
The Omen SE
The Blob (Criterion SE)
The Blob (1988 remake)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Cat's Eye
House SE
Night of the Living Dead (Milennium Edition)
Night of the Living Dead (1990 remake SE)
Martin
Man Bites Dog (Criterion)
Return of the Living Dead
Blade 1 & 2
Twitch of the Death Nerve
Lisa and the Devil
Black Sabbath
Blood and Black Lace
The Whip and the Body
Macabre
Demons
Maniac SE

All of those are worth every penny, and their are still tons that I didn't list!

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Nice list Justin, I will add some
Maniac(well you listed but it is so good I will list it also :D )
I spit on your grave:ME
Dead Alive( comedy horror, but it is so worth the money)
Bad Taste:SE
The Beyond:TIN
Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Holocaust(get this from xploitedcinema it is "uncut" NTSC version)
Jungle Holocaust
Killer Klowns from Outer space(comedy horror, but once again it does it well)

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

Good call on The Fog. I think that it is an incredible movie with some great features. The documentary rocks. But MGM released it, not Fox.(if Fox had released it then the price would have been very high)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Thank you for correction Boone...sometimes it is simply too damn hard to keep the studio's straight...:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks