What's new

Horizontal Grey Bars (1 Viewer)

Barry Carlson

Auditioning
This is my first post. I've recently purchased a Sony, 32", KV-32HV600 TV. My DVD player, an older Toshiba model is connected via component cables. I've set the Toshiba to output a 16:9 picture. When I play a widescreen movie the image displayed on the TV has the normal black bars at the bottom and top, and then, in addition, has a set of GREY bars _on top_ of the black bars. Is this a normal picture? If not, how do I get rid of the grey bars? Put the Toshiba back to 4:3 output?

Thanks for any help.

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Setting your DVD player back to 4:3 output will get rid of your grey bars. Since it's a 4:3 TV, I'm pretty sure you should always set your Toshiba to that mode.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I am pretty sure i know what you are talking about, basically you are getting two different shades of black bars? I have seen this before where when you use the enhanced widescreen mode on a tv you actually see two sets of black bars (and in comparison one set will appear to be grey)

what you need to do is adjust your brightness untill you cannot see a difference. a proper calibration with avia or VE will take care fo this for you.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
John is right. YOu will see this with wide movies(2.35:1) and the squeeze applied, the bars on top and bottom are dead screen area(no scan lines), the bars between these and the viewable area contain scan lines and will vary in color of black as the brightness is adjusted, the lower the brightness, the blacker they will be. Try to get them to match the black on the dead space on the TV to make it a seamless blend.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What the previous two said. You're overdriving your Sony. Films come in different aspect ratios, so some will be smaller vertically within the 16:9 window. Reduce the white level so that the black bars within the 16:9 window merge seamlessly with the "dead space" atop and below the 16:9 window.

Do NOT reset the DVD player to output at 4:3, as you will be defeating the purpose of having purchased a 4:3 model with a 16:9 mode.

Barry Carlson

Auditioning
Thanks for all the advice. I had noticed that, despite the additional set of bars, that the picture was sharper and more detailed in that particular mode, compared to the 4:3 mode. I'll go back and adjust the white level to do a better job of matching the 2 sets of bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks