1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

finally got my hitachi

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PeterK, Sep 11, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I finally got my 51f500A today. I hooked it all up but something seems odd with the aspect ratio's. I put in "Finding Nemo" which is enhanced for widescreen tv's. The default setting is for 4:3 signals so there were large grey bars on the side and then black bars on the top. the different aspect ratios that I have on the tv are 4:3 standard, 4:3 expanded which zooms the 4:3 signal to fit the screen. but then severly distorts the corners. it seems that this is normal though because the little picture in the manual shows distorted circles in the corners. the next is 4:3 zoom1&2 these zoom the picture. then there is 16:9 standard and zoom. I figured to watch nemo which is in 16x9 I should put it in 16x9 standard. When I do that. all it does is stretch the picture horizontally. The black bars are still there and everything is fat. so when i do 4:3 zoom1, the manual indicates that that is what should be used to view the movie without bars or loss of picture. But, that is not the case. I loose a bit more than an inch each way horizontally and vertically. This doesn't seem right. It seems that the Tv doesn't know how to deal with a 16:9 signal. so it just stretches and zooms. shouldn't I be able to give the tv a 16x9 signal and not worry about. It's almost as if 4:3 is the tv's native aspect ration and it doesn't know what to do with a 16x9 signal.
    I hope i've made some sense, and hopefully someone can help me or explain to my why i am loosing picture on a dvd that is enhanced for my widescreen tv!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Peter,

Is this your first 16/9 set? If so there's a very good chance that your dvd player is still set for 4/3 displays, which would produce exactly the image you describe with the set in 16/9 standard.

Anamorphic dvds look tall and skinny on a 4/3 set unless the player vertically squeezes them, a process called anamorphic downconversion. This is why in the player's setup menu you can select the display type (4/3 or 16/9).

With the player on but disc stopped, go into the player setup menu and look for a screen setup or TV aspect ratio setting and select 16/9.

3. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Thanks steve, that was exactly the problem.

4. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

just to clarify, now I should have the tv set in 16x9 standard right?

5. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Peter:

Yes that is correct - set your TV to 16x9 standard.

When watching 4x3, leave it to 16x9 on the TV or use the zoom modes. I would avoid using 4x3 standard because you won't want to burn your screen, even thou it has bars.

6. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

My tv can output grey or black bars when i am watching 4:3 tv. I thought that using grey bars reduced or eliminated any possible burn in though ???
    Also, when I watch a tv show like star trek enterprise, it is meant for wide screen. how do i deal with that? if I leave it 4:3 there are grey bars on the side in addition to the black bars on top and bottom. If I zoom it I am faced with the same problem mentioned in my first post. my satelite receiver has a video setting for normal and wide but changing it does absoluely nothing to the picture. Is there anything else I am missing? if not, I will call the satellite people and see if they know what to do.

thanks

7. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

btw my sat receiver is not HD.

8. John S

John S Producer

Yep, a lot of people forget to switch their DVD player to the correct ratio of their new 16:9 HDTV. Glad it was easy for you, at least.

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Not familiar with the Hitachi, but check to see if there are different zoom modes on your t.v. One will fit the best if that's an issue.

10. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Your sat may have a 16x9 setting, if not you're going to have to use the zoom modes to compensate.

Since I do have an Hitachi myself(57TWX20B), I rarely use the 4:3 setting. When I do, it's on for less than 5 minutes.

Even thou the TV uses grey bars(you can make it do black bars in the menu options) on 4:3 standard, it doesn't eliminate burn in because it's a still image(no raster). It does reduce it but it will burn in eventually. Also if you look in your manual it talks about not using still images on the TV as well.