What's new
World Wide Stereo

Hooking a sub to an integrated amp (1 Viewer)

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
I have been hooking my subwoofer into my integrated amp(which does not have sub/lfe line level output) using the speaker level input and output on the sub and amplifier. Is there a way to do this using the subs line level in and the pre out on the amplifier?

728x90

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the sub has a line level input (RCA jack) then I assume it’s a powered sub. Which makes me wonder what you’re using a separate amp for.

Yes, if the sub has a line input, you can feed it directly from the receiver’s sub out jack.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I don't think Shannon has a sub-out socket Wayne. :)

I have the same active sub feed problem from my stereo amp. It has no sub-out socket either.

Feeding an active sub should be simple if you have a pre-out socket Shannon. Just run a long (mono) phono (RCA) cable from the pre-out socket on the back of your amp to your sub's lo (low) level in socket.

The pre-out socket is simply full frequency range at line (low) level. There is no need to provide a stereo signal to the sub. A single mono cable will do.

A dedicated sub-out socket is mono, lo (line level) that has most of the higher frequency signals removed leaving just the bass. It is usually adjustable for level & cut-off frequency via a high quality low-pass filter built into the AV receiver/processor.

But your sub's own in-built filter will take care of removing the higher frequencies for you and leave you with just the deep bass.

You can now experiment with your sub's cut-off point and output level (volume) to match your main speakers. (Hopefully your sub has a cut-off frequency adjustment knob).

I hope this information is correct and would welcome any corrections. As I hope to do the same with my own stereo amp when my sub arrives.

ChrisBee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks