Hooking a sub to an integrated amp

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shannon S., Mar 5, 2004.

1. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

Feb 15, 2004
    I have been hooking my subwoofer into my integrated amp(which does not have sub/lfe line level output) using the speaker level input and output on the sub and amplifier. Is there a way to do this using the subs line level in and the pre out on the amplifier?
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    If the sub has a line level input (RCA jack) then I assume it’s a powered sub. Which makes me wonder what you’re using a separate amp for.

Yes, if the sub has a line input, you can feed it directly from the receiver’s sub out jack.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  3. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

Mar 4, 2004
    I don't think Shannon has a sub-out socket Wayne. [​IMG]

I have the same active sub feed problem from my stereo amp. It has no sub-out socket either.

Feeding an active sub should be simple if you have a pre-out socket Shannon. Just run a long (mono) phono (RCA) cable from the pre-out socket on the back of your amp to your sub's lo (low) level in socket.

The pre-out socket is simply full frequency range at line (low) level. There is no need to provide a stereo signal to the sub. A single mono cable will do.

A dedicated sub-out socket is mono, lo (line level) that has most of the higher frequency signals removed leaving just the bass. It is usually adjustable for level & cut-off frequency via a high quality low-pass filter built into the AV receiver/processor.

But your sub's own in-built filter will take care of removing the higher frequencies for you and leave you with just the deep bass.

You can now experiment with your sub's cut-off point and output level (volume) to match your main speakers. (Hopefully your sub has a cut-off frequency adjustment knob).

I hope this information is correct and would welcome any corrections. As I hope to do the same with my own stereo amp when my sub arrives.