Homw Networking Problem - Please Help...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Henry, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    OK...here's my delimma...

I have a cable mode going to an XP box - line to a hub - 4 lines out to 4 computers...

I need wallplates at every computer. i get them wired (all at "B" standard) and nothing works - however a light shows up on the NIC cards but the hub does NOT show a connection....IF I keep the wire as having "MALE" connectors and connect them right into the computer - THEY WORK. But if I try to put a "FEMALE" connector to use with a patch cable - nothing.

I have tried this on every computer with all 4 wallplates and nothing I do works.

Any ideas? I racking my brains here...

-MIke

2. FrankT

FrankT Stunt Coordinator

This is a total guess. Make sure your cables are not crossover cables. They look exactly like normal cables. You can tell usually because the colored wires inside the end piece are in a different order then a normal cable. Sorry but that is all I can think of.

3. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    Yeah - I've tried everything I can think of - from the obvious to the not-so-obvious...remember, I'm making my own wires... ugh

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd double check the hub and make certain that the port switch on the uplink (from the hub to the XP computer) is treated as a normal connection vs an uplink (which usually is a roll-over setting). Also double check things such as workgroups, permissions, and the correct protocols (might have to install the ICS from the XP computer).