What's new

Home Theater seats... (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
We're looking into getting 3 of those Berkline Cinema Collection seats at $600 a piece. I am just wondering if that is a good price or are there other brands I should look into?

These r the ones I speak of.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
There are some cheaper brands and more expensive brands(Lazyboy, Lane) to name a few but none of them sit like the Berklines. If I was going with HT chairs specifically, then I'd be all over those.

I was going to buy them but I realized they weren't going to work in my room since its not dedicated so I went with a sectional type couch.

FWIW, AVS has a good price on those supposedly.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A writer for "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater" has been taking some flack for an article he wrote a few issues back. The article tried to list his "Top 10 Mistakes" made in home theater rooms.

His #1 issue - chairs that are too high and block the side and rear sounds.

While I am not a big Russ Hershelman fan, he does have a point. The over-stuffed chairs in the picture look nice, but - that's a lot of padding that hits you about ear-level. It's not going to do much for your rear sound effects.

I think the seat backs should end about your shoulder height. See if the Berkline units come with different backs so you can get some small enough to work for you/your spouse.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
This isn't the case. I've sat in these particular chairs along with the others I mentioned and never felt once that they were too high and blocked anything.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Good to know guys. I've been researching about these and frankly, I've not heard anything but raves about them. As for the side and rear sound issue, both my rears and sides sit high enough that its not gonna be a problem at all. I have looked into this supposed problem before even deciding on these Berklines.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
A friend of mine has those chairs and they are quite comfortable, maybe a little too soft for my taste. The reclining trajectory is pretty good too but not the best possible.

If you can stomach the ugly looks, or they are going into a dark theater room that isn't seeing daylight, I don't see them as a bad buy.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
One thing to mention: The auto recline feature is clumsy and not worth the dough IMHO. It made alot of noise that I found objectionable.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
True, but that's not much said. Taste is a personal thing but quite honestly those seats look horrible. I would post you links to better options (in my opinion) but this website won't let me because I'm new here.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
Just a personal opinion here, learned from years of experience.

Run from LazyBoy. Many of their fabrics fall apart after a year and guess what? The fabric warranty ends in one year.

I have a couch that, exactly one year after purchase, began to come apart at the seams due to poor sewing. (On a section rarely sat upon.) LazyBoy won't touch it.

Like bose, these are more hype than quality products.

Berkline is an excellent and long lasting product.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I think that chair looks great. Wouldn't mind having one. My HT chair is also a Berkline but a different style, it's closer to a Eames chair knockoff.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Both. Avscience is an authorized dealer. I've heard their pricing is incredible. I personally went with something different but if I wanted HT chairs, that is the first place I'd go to.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Well, debate's over. I just went ahead and ordered from a local dealer. I did try them online dealers but it would take them a good 4-6 weeks to deliver. I'm getting mine this Thursday and after all the haggling, I got them to my door at only $40 more than online merchants.
Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks