What's new

Home Theater and Gaming: The XBox 360 brings it all together (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

That's long been a concern with HDCP. However as I understand it you'll only have a problem where content providers opt to enforce the HDCP protocol. When this is the case the analog output will deliver a mere 480p with full hi-def going exclusively through the digital port. I doubt any games will be affected by this - there is no value to a bootlegger making a copy of a video game in progress. It's more of a concern for pre-recorded content, and again only when providers chose to get hard-ass about copy protection.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
I've been a gamer for many years and really enjoy them. I also enjoy home theater. I have been using multiple consoles since the Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo/Neo Geo days. With 'current' generation systems, I've grown to prefer the (original) Xbox because it simply tied in with my home theater better than the PS2 and GameCube. Too many PS2 titles I owne/want are still 480i and without Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound. To its credit, the GameCube has many titles with 480p support and analog Dolby Pro-Logic II/IIx. I have a handful of 720p & 1080i PS2 and Xbox titles which are great but of course not enough. The Xbox 360 really brings both HD and surround sound together and truely takes advantage of my home theater setup even more than the original Xbox. I also agree with the comments above about the dashboard integration too.
I can't wait to get a PlayStation 3 and Nintendo 'Revolution' and only wished Nintendo had made a choice to get serious about HD: oh well. Bring on the games!
Just enjoying the Xbox 360 in HD and Dolby Digital 5.1!

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
A DVD on my Panasonic LCD using the 360 and componet cables looks better than a DVD on my Samsung player using HDMI with the LCD.

Is this possible?

Beau

EricW

Senior HTF Member
it's still early, but who would've thought that MS's decision to not have the HD-DVD drive would pay off? (at least i think it's going to pay off)... they get to keep their price much lower, while Sony has to include a Blue Ray drive (which J6P won't use much anyways) which jacks their price right up. i don't think there's much question that PS3's will out sell 360's, but the gap will shrink.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Don't disregard the economic crunch that gas prices (among other things) will have later this year and in the future, the PS3 is rather pricy even for the lower end model and I think this is going to hurt Sony for a good while. Personally, I am (much to my surprise) far more exited about Nintendo's Wii, so are a lot of people....I think, with the unique controller and more affordable price point, Wii might just reinvigorate Nintendo's console strength & become a surprise hit this holiday season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks