What's new

HOMBRE- Any comments on this recently released dvd? (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
The subject title says it all. Anybody care to comment on the transfer to dvd of this well acted Paul Newman film? (I have one question-how you going to get back down?)
:) ;) :)

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Brent:

I picked up this disc today. The transfer is very good. The image is steady, nice and sharp without much enhancement but the color appears to be slightly desaturated and a bit faded but can be corrected by adjusting your monitor. The sound isn't bad. You can choose between original mono and psuedo-stereo. Avoid the psuedo-stereo track. Bonus features are minimal: a few color production photos and a couple of trailers from Paul Newman's films. If you're a fan of this film, I highly recommend it. As westerns and character studies go, it's one of the best.

Jeff

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Brent-

I was sent this one to review, and I was really impressed. I'd never seen the film, and it wrapped me up for a solid two hours. Damn good western-with-a-social conscience.

The DVD is highly recommendable. The features are skimpy (trailer, still gallery), but the widescreen transfer is really impressive. Needless to say, I'll be giving this one a thumb's up.

One of the greatest thing about reviewing DVDs is all the "older" flicks that I'm forced to watch...and then love.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last September, at the HTF's National Meet in LA, several of us had the pleasure of seeing cleanup work being done to "Hombre" in preparation for it's 2002 dvd release. Since then I've seen the dvd twice and I am quite impressed by the great job Fox did on this dvd release. The film itself is one of Newman's most underrated films with a great performance by him and the rest of the cast with some very memorable dialogue.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks