What's new

Hollywood the Golden Years The RKO Story (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This does bring up a decent question... what documentaries on film studios have been released? Or how many are there, even?

I know of MGM: When The Lion Roared, and the two 20th Century Fox discs. Both of those were DVD only, though. And, of course, the RKO documentary, but that never got any type of disc release, did it?

Did any of the other major studios get documentaries?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Republic Pictures Story was on VHS, and I think DVD and Laserdisc. One of my Fox discs had a crack from the middle hole in but not enough to stop it playing, in this case, but I quickly made a back-up and that was a long time ago. I have to say it was a surprise that the RKO episodes did not make it to VHS or disc but I have it, from YT, I think. Memory is telling me that one episode was missing. A pirate label has in on three discs and the now late Ed Asner is the narrator. Maybe WB own the rights now?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Has this ever been released? I've seen parts on Youtube, but is it available as a whole?
It's available in my house because I recorded all six episodes off TV when it was first broadcast! It's a shame it's not more widely accessible because among its many virtues, it explains what happened to The Magnificent Ambersons and why.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I could have sworn it was released on laserdisc, but I don’t have it and would love to have the whole thing on DVD or Blu. Last time I checked, YouTube had a couple of the episodes intact but only pieces of the others.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I do have a dvd recording of the series that was made from a UK television broadcast years ago. I do not remember the website where i purchased it but he did send me the broadcast recording of Arena: The Orson Welles Story documentary that was also shown on UK television.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This does bring up a decent question... what documentaries on film studios have been released? Or how many are there, even?

I know of MGM: When The Lion Roared, and the two 20th Century Fox discs. Both of those were DVD only, though. And, of course, the RKO documentary, but that never got any type of disc release, did it?

Have the dvd release of The Golden Gong: The Story of Rank Films (1985) which tells the story of British film producer J. Arthur Rank & Rank Films and the creation of Pinewood Studios. Good documentary hosted by Michael Caine.

1641132544545.png

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

“Disney through the Decades” is sort of one, from the Snow White Platinum edition.

“MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS” is another great one, that has had a DVD release.

“HOLLYWOOD” is a terrific doc never released. Man I wish someone like Turner / Warner or KINO would or could release these.

The TECHNICOLOR doc is a great one, though only 60 min, from the Robin Hood DVD and another disc, but I’m not sure which other disc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Grapevine Video had a kickstarter last year for a set of 5 silent era studio tour shorts on blu ray. Quality of the shorts vary, given their age, but they are all interesting and fun. It’s available on their website now.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Most likely home video rights were not negotiated at the time the RKO story was produced. In order to use the interviews contained within the documentary they would need permision from the estates of the participates One of whom was Fred Astaire. His widow has insisted a license be obtained to include him in any film. I am sure its not only him but his is the most well known example. Its why "MGM When The Lion Roars" was edited on home video. Its why Fred Astaire footage was edited out of the TV showing "The Kennedy Center Honors" when Ginger Rogers was honored.

The documentary, produced by the BBC was called, "The RKO Story: Tales From Hollywood" in the UK. In the USA it was called "Hollywood the Golden Years: The RKO Story" .

The show is available to view at the Paley Center in NY and LA. Per the Paley Center it was orginally shown on the A&E station when those letters sttod for Arts and Entertainment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks