What's new

Holes (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The trailer went up with no fanfare a couple of weeks ago on Quicktime.

This is based on the Newberry (pulitzer of children's literature) award winning novel Holes by Louis Sachar. The book is tremendously good. Fantastic and richly cinematic, despite a narrative that interweaves the primary story with stories in several historical time periods, it should easily translate to a screenplay with little effort and a modicum of creativity. Louis Sachar cowrote the screenplay I believe, so I have high hopes there.

The adults in all their roles look absolutely perfect, the kids are another story. Stanley is the real cringe inducing diversion. In order to pull in that precious teenybopper girl crowd disney apparently decided they could not have a character be fat unless he is for total comedic purposes (Armpit). So it seems from the trailer that they changed stanleys character from the slightly slow/overweight character in the book, to a scrawny/geekier (or nerdier its unclear) version in the book. This is extremely disapointing for me, but I can get over it.

The trailer btw, is absolutely terrible, its unimaginative and cringe inducing,at least the second half isDisney has an extremely compelling story on their hands that would do very well and the best they can manage is the standard 'summarize every part of the movie' trailer, instead of going with something that entices people to actually see the film. and dammit they showed the fing lizards in the trailer, they shouldn't have done that! (and they look like mini compies from jurassic park, not lizards.

Despite all this, I can't wait to see it, the few early reviews that have popped up have indicated its a over two hours long, which is fine with me, as every part of the story is wonderful. Considering the length of the book that sounds about the right amount of time as well. Hopefully Disney won't enforce a bunch of ridiculous runtime cuts. Some of my favorite children's movies ever have long runtimes, chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Hook for example!

Adam

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
the intro music and end music sound like a movie that would have Sigourney Weaver, Jon Voight, and Patricia Arquette...but why are they headlining if it's a kids movie? (i don't know, i am just getting mixed signs)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Because its not really a kids movie, its more of a family movie--that is to say that adults will probably enjoy it as much, if not more than the kids they'll be taking it too. It will hopefully be a film that everyone will enjoy. And I imagine they're headlining cause it was a damn good script, and for a family movie has an excellent pedigree.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, the trailer hooked my girlfriend into wanting to see it. I hadn't heard anything about this before seeing it before "Shanghai Knights", not even the book itself.

We'll see how good the film actually is, but it looks like Disney live action family films are starting to make a comeback, with "Tuck Everlasting" last year.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks