HK520. CD player hook up?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Greg Kolinski, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Since the 520 doesnt appear to have an analogue bypass to use the CD player DAC instead of the recievers...........
    1)in just running in stereo mode,even using RCA connectors,the HK's DAC still does some converting?
    2)Running the RCA cables to 2 of the 5 channel inputs(for SACD etc?)as I am now,this should bypass the recievers DAC completly?
    Thanks for any input

Greg

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    EVERY time you use stereo analog inputs, you are bypassing the receiver's DACs. While there may not be any processing going on, that does not mean the signal path is the optimum one. You may POST-process that signal with DSPs, but that is not the same thing as D to A conversion. If you run it in stereo mode, the only guaranteed processing that should occur is bass management.

In most cases (not all), when you use the multichannel analog inputs, you will not be able to use the internal DACs. This typically utilizes a different circuit path than the stereo analog inputs, often optimized for better sound for "hi-res" sources such as DVD-A and SACD.

On my Marantz, I have "source direct" for all analog sources, which essentially defeats all tone controls and bass management. The multichannel only functions in "7ch direct" mode, which may not be post-processed.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

4. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit