What's new

HK vs. Denon Consensus? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
granted its not the end of the world without it, but its a feature I would appreciate having. With the amount I move around, anything that simplifies the connections and makes it cleaner I am all about

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
Or the Pio 1014. If you buy in a couple of months, the 1015 will be out with 3 component inputs, as opposed to the two on the 1014.

dany, do you know if the 2105 allows you to rename the inputs? And, what about audio delay? Unfortunately, the 1014 doesn't do either.

**EDIT** The 2105 doesn't have audio delay.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Hey Dany,

How good is the auto calibration on the Denon. The reason I ask is because it is a $100 or so difference between the 1905 and the 2105 and what I can see that is added is auto-calib. a digital out, a few more S-video connections and some more power... Most of this I wouldn't use as I am only hooking up a DVD via component a computer via digital coax in and also 5.1 analog in, a gamecube and the TV's audio out. In your opinion is it worth the added cost?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
"Then I guess you own one of these systems?"

Not hardly. . .I find what I want first then I find the best price etc. All I am saying is that it has been my experience that there are reputable online "eTailers" that are fine even without a factory warrentee.

I bought my VSX45TX online (eBay) NIB for under 700 bucks delivered. Sold it after a year or so. Now I am rebuilding my HT system with JBL Northridge E100s/C35/E70s for rear and rear surround. Not to mention my SVS PB12Plus/2.

At the moment I am in love with the Pioneer 1014 (BB 399) however I will be buying a HK7300 or Pioneer Elite VSX56TXi if I cant find my price on the VSX59TXi. So far the 59 has been hoovering around 2000.00(no warrenty except exchange if defective) not bad for a 4000.00+ receiver.

In my mind it just depends on what you want and your past experiences. Again knock on wood but I have yet to have a componet problem that required service of any sort. I am not saying to blindly go to just anyone as the low-ballers reputation must be considered as well. . .

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
What the 1014 has done for me is to give me all the time in the world to find my TOTL receiver/seperates or whatever. I am so pleased at it's performance that I am very tempted to leave it in place. Had I not budgeted for the upgrade and spent so many hours/days/weeks looking for my one and only I would feel comfortable just listening to it alone.

I dont think I can remember a deal this good for what it delivers. BTW it has converted a co-worker that had no time for movie sound. Now he lives at my house(almost) At least she is sold once I get my big boy. . .

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Ryan,i've used auto a bunch of times and each time i rechecked,it was off and always sets my front mains to lg. Its not a selling point for me as i shut off the eq also.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Ok, well heres me new thinking, yes I know I debate too much.

Denon 2105 seems to only have the advantage of 10 watts more power(at least in important feature terms) over the 1905. Is this significant? The A/B front switch could be useful for me as I use my system for my computer too. Having Speakers in the correct listening position on both sides of my monitor along with my normal speakers set up to my TV is a nice thing to have.

HK 335 - Love the look, hearing great things about quality of them and sound but doesn't have many "selling features" that make it jump out at me

Pioneer 1014 - Well, it gets rave reviews. This shouldn't probably be a reason but I hate the look of the thing. It looks to me like they slapped pieces together. However, I do recognize that it does have quite a few features and a good price. I don't necessarily need all the inputs it provides however.

Thats my feelings so far. If you held a gun to my head and told me I needed to get one today, I would probably end up with the Denon 2105. But the decision is just so hard! Whoever knew that a receiver could be so hard to pick?

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
10 watts is nothing. You can get on Denon's website and click the yellow star and it will line up the recievers side by side and you can see the difference's in each model.Dont let watts be an issue.70-100 and thats enough.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I went to Circuit city today and checked out the HK 335. All I can say is wow! The thing looks incredible and is built like a rock! That think defintitely weighs the 34 pounds or so they say it does. I also checked out a home theater magazine at Barnes and Noble and it gave the 2105 a 92. As good as I know the pioneer is, I think its down to a battle between these two. The magazine said that the Denon did a great job in movies. I have heard that the HK is great in music, anybody have any input on how it is at movies?

Shiu

Second Unit
The 335 weighs 31 lbs according to HK website. The Denon is lighter but it seems better built in terms of rigidity of the chassis. I am not sure about the 2105 but the 2805 and the 3805 are very quiet, no hiss, and no fan noise to worry about. A friend of mine has a HKAVR225, it does very well in movies as well. You can't go wrong with either. It is a difficult decision. It took me a long time to settle on the Denon last fall.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
2805 and 2105 has no fan,thats good. My 2805 does both great but i think the 2105 is a great deal.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Hehe 31 pounds 34 close enough all I know is it took some effort to spin around to see the back of it. It was in use but I heard nothing from the fan at all. Now I have to decide between two incredible receivers. At least its down to two. That is, unless the 1015 is amazing ;).

Shiu

Second Unit
The fan could be a very quiet one, and unless you listen to quiet stuff often, you will not likely hear it anyway, but personally I prefer not to have one at all. The pioneer does seem to offer the best values for the money if you can put up with its look, I can't........

Shiu

Second Unit
Lots of people could, hehehehehe........, flip a coin on the 335 and the 2105, or search and read more reviews to see if you could be convinced to pick one over the other.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
does anyone know where I could get some full reviews of these receivers? I was able to find one in a magazine but thats about it. If I search the internet for them all I get is placed to buy it. If anyone knows of any sites that would have reviews of these receivers please share! :)

Shiu

Second Unit
Sorry Ryan, you are right, there are a few reviews on the 2805 & 3805 but nothing on the 2105 other than reviews by users.

Having read some of those reviews myself, I thought for a couple of hundred dollars more, you are better off with the 2805 in the long run. It is as good as the 3805 minus a few watts and a couple of minor features. My 3805 sounds so good that I recently disconnected the separate power amp that I used to power the L/R channels for a few months. I A/B'ed the 2805/3805 before, I could not tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks