HK vs. Denon Consensus?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Just wondering what the general consensus is between Harmon Kardon and Denon receivers. I like the look of HK(Is that a fair reason to like them lol?) but they seem to be much lower powered and the component bandwidth is half that of the equivalent Denon. At the same price point, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I assume you are just looking at manufacturers spec sheets. H/K rates the wattage accurately whereas, Denon inflates the number like everyone else.
    Both are very good and it will be impossible to reach a consensus on which one is better.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Are there particular models you are considering? If it's above the opening price points, you should perhaps consider the AVR-635. It has a more advanced EQ system than the equivalent Denon and even though Denon's implementation is effective, HK's has the potential to make even more of an impact in overall sonics.

DJ

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Too rich for my blood! I was looking for a simpler model such as the Denon 1705 or 1905. Any HK priced in the $400-500 range or so would be included. Just wondering if one has any advantages over the other

5. Ryan Leemhuis

after looking at the 235 it seems that the denons are more suited for me. I like the A/B front switch feature. Also component video switching is another big plus for the Denon. Any reason NOT to get the Denon vs the 235?

EDIT: I see that the HK has bass management, is this a big selling feature. I have heard of it but don't know exactly what it does

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The Denons will have bass management also, as do all Dolby Digital/DTS receivers. It allows you to redirect bass to the speakers in your system that are capable of reproducing it.

Each has advantages the other doesn't. Denon has the higher component bandwidth (100 MHz vs. 30). The HK has Logic 7, which you could use instead of Dolby PL IIx(either will work well though). The HK has the quadruple crossover, which lets you select individual crossover points for each speaker group. They both have good processing power, amp sections, and clean direct modes.

To answer your question though, there is no killer feature the HK has that should make you choose it over the Denon. I really don't think you could go wrong either way.

DJ

7. Ryan Leemhuis

thanks for the incredible reply

that really is the fun thing isn't it, so many options that are right? But thats the annoying thing too. Now I read that the Pioneer 1014 is good and the Yamaha 750. All about the same price and all full of features. I have read some other posts and it seems to come down to opinion. Is the THX processing in the Pioneer anything special? any more input is GREATLY appreciated as I love to hear about what people like and dislike, especially if you own one. Does anyone know if any of these cannot handle 6 ohm speakers? I am looking to build my own and they might come out to a bit lower than 8 ohms nominal.

8. Ryan Leemhuis

anybody know if the HK 235 can handle lower impedence speakers? It doesn't say in its manual. I am talking on the order of 6 ohms nominal. Thanks for your help. This would likely eliminate this receiver although I love the wonderful quality of construction of this receiver

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I wouldn't buy a receiver for THX alone, in fact, when I owned a Pioneer(45TX), I never engaged the processing. The 1014 does have the MCACC though, which is an auto-setup/EQ. It did work very well in the Pioneer I owned. They tend to lean a little towards a brighter sonic character, whereas the Denon and especially the HK are a little warmer sounding. Of course, the speakers you select and their character should be considered, as well.

Any of the receivers you are considering will handle 6 ohm speakers just fine, including the HK.

DJ

10. Ryan Leemhuis

Does anyone have any pictures of the back of the 1014? I can't find any big enough to make out any of the text.

The only features holding me back from going for the HK is no video upconversion(I guess I just like the though of that since I have enough inputs an all) and no A/B front speaker switch.

It'd be nice to be able to see the back of the 1014. Thanks for giving me all the suggestions, I am really starting to figure out what I want.

11. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

The HK will likely has a fan. It rates its power accurately but that does not mean it offers more power than the Denon and the Pioneer within the same price range. In fact, it may give you less 1, 2 channel power, but the same or slightly more 7 channel power. The Pioneer 1014 seems to offer the best value for the money.

12. Ryan Leemhuis

Anybody got a pic of the back of the Pioneer? I can't seem to find one. This seems to be drawing quite the crowd here. Whats so special about it? I know it has the auto-cal. but other than that?

13. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

What do you want to know about the back?

It's popular because it's essentially the Elite 52TX for a lot less money.

14. Ryan Leemhuis

I just like to see the back to get a good idea of layout and number of inputs as I am still debating between 3 receivers

15. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

The pioneer is ur best bet from my point of view. This may be because i have one, but as far as looks go which was one of ur points i think the pioneer looks the best and seems to be the most "heavy duty" it weights 34 pds by itself and is over 18 inchs deep with a large face sheild that gives it a clean look. Next point, i've seen the ratings on the VSX-52TX(same as the VSX1014TX) from Home Theater magazine the wattage ratings are not over rated infact they are under rated the receiver makes 115.3 watts per channel at 8ohms. The pioneer seems to have more features than the rest of the receivers encluding pre amp outputs incase u ever want to use the receiver is a giant pre amp/processor. THX isnt a that big of a deal but its nice to be able to say you have it.But in any aspect it's your choice and it seems like no matter what someone says your going to get the HK.

16. Ryan Leemhuis

oh No on the contrary, I really have none that are "in the lead". Actually, the Pioneer is actually my #1 pick right now. All that matters is if it will still be around this spring, if thats the case, its mine [​IMG]. I am just trying to get as much of a feel for what each on does before it comes to that time to buy one. I always want the best for my $$$ as I am sure all of us do. So id it sounds like I am digging for good stuff on the HK, I probably am because right now it is the most feature lacking in my mind.

Thanks for your input, as always, any more is welcome

17. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

I am a current H/K owner and I really like their product and have nothing against Denon. But I think the Pioneer 1014 is the way to go in the lower price range. Best Buy had it for 399 a few weeks ago. I have not owned any Pioneer stuff for about 10 years but it is good product. Spend the 399 on the Pioneer and use the saved money for better speakers or DVD player. I think you will get more for your money that way.

18. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Denon 2105 best bang for the buck right now

19. Ryan Leemhuis

can you back that up with some info that would cause me to believe that, cause right now all the others are saying Pioneer. Still very open to other ideas but I need some facts.

20. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Cant you look it up. I'm telling you what i think. Now you find out why and compare. Its just about like the 2805 minus a few things that i wouldnt miss and i have a 2805 but if buying today,i'd get the 2105 for a lot less. Others are saying Pioneer,i count 3 on this thread. You cant go wrong with any of the above. Dont put to much into auto eq. Most that i know turn it off. Auto setup is alright but you still go back through and tweak it.