What's new

HK AVR430 randomly turns off (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
So I bought a refurbed unit from HK via ebay and I'm starting to regret it. When I'm watching a movie the receiver will just turn itself off. It could be a very quiet scene, or it could be an action packed scene, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. My system consists of a HK Signature 5 channel power amp which is powering the speakers, Denon DVD player, and JBL Studio series speakers all around (4 S38ii's and S-center). I've tried moving it to different outlets, but since my power amp is powering the speakers it shouldn't be drawing that much power. I'm just wondering if there is anything I could try before I box it up ship it out and look for a replacement.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Have you spoken to HK tech support? Anyway, often they will tell you to reset the processor. Typically that involves holding down a button while unplugging and replugging the power, but look in your manual. If that fixes it, you might want to keep it. If that doesn't work, send it back. Chances are there is something wrong with it. Very possibly that is why it is refurb in the first place. It is a sad fact that HK has more than its share of bugs. They do not seem to do nearly enough Beta testing before they release their receivers. Even the new and very highly regarded 635 has a bug and from what I have read, HK plans to do nothing about it.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Yeah that is my last resort. I got it to go about a half hour into X-men 2 before I turned it off myself today. I'll watch some more later and see if it plays nice. I was monitoring it today for heat issues, but while it got warm it didn't seem to get overly warm. I was waiting to see if it was really hot when it turned off but it didn't do so. Kind of a double edged sword, I wanted to see if it was heat causing the shut downs but I didn't want it to shut down lol. It never shut off when I was setting it up, and it won't shut off if it is on but just sitting there. It only shuts off during movies. My hope is that it needed some "breaking in time" and that it is ok now, but with my luck lately that's probalby not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks