What's new

HK AVR330 v. Denon 3803 (Newbie about to purchase) (1 Viewer)

John_Griff

Stunt Coordinator
First, let me say thanks to everyone who helped me in the earlier thread. I appreciated you helping me trim my list.

Now, between these two, which is the best investment? I'm looking for one that I can "grow" into and slowly replace my speakers in the next few years. Any thoughts from you guys that might have seen both or purchased both in the past. Any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
OK, just a question for you - does it matter if you have 6 or 7 amplified channels? As you know, the AVR-330 has 6 amplified channels of power.

With that being said, the Feb/March 2004 edition of Sound and Vision magazine tested the H/K AVR-330. While the receiver is rated @ 55 watts x 6, it tested at 66 watts when 5 channels were driven. Once again, H/K gets a "cookie" for being honest about their power ratings.

Regarding the power output of the 3803, it should be in range of the AVR-330 - or slightly more. Even if the 3803 put out 72 watts with 5 channels being driven, you would not be able to hear this difference in power.

Now, it just depends on which one sounds better to you. Pick the one that you like - because many opinions will be introduced from other members that might throw you off a bit.

John_Griff

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response. No, it really doesn't matter if I have 6 or 7 channels. I have also tested both and I like them both the same, that is why I've come on here to see if one might be a better "value" than the other that I should know about.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In general I find the Denon build quality, and reliability to be higher.

Let us know which one you go for please....

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The H/K 330 is not in the same league as the 3803. By this I do not mean that it is not as good but they are at two different price points (msrp). I think to better compare the receivers you would have to look at the 430 or the 630. The Denon would fall between those 2. I personaly would go for the Denon as it can be had for a fantastic price on-line. The H/K is an excellent receiver, my friend has one and it does sound excellent. You will get more bang for your buck with the Denon though.

John_Griff

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the opinions guys. It sounds like I should go with the Denon as I am looking for a receiver to "grow" into. Thanks fellas!

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Call them up and ask for a 3802... They will then promptly offer you the 3803 for $648!! I'm tellin ya, you can't beat it!

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Yeah, sorry about that. I forgot to tell you about the wait. However, I think it is very much worth the wait. I just got my 3803 and I have to say it's one solid receiver.

Enjoy!

cabreau

Second Unit
If you watch a lot of TV, then you'll probably want the HK for the Logic 7. Logic 7 works wonders on a stereo TV signal. I've heard Pro Logic II and Neo 6:Cinema and I don't think they sound as good for Television. For music, I like all three about the same, PLII, Neo6, and Logic 7. At PCMall, they have the HK 7200 (normally $1799.99) for $734.00 refurbished. That's what I would get.

GregorySB

Grip
Let me reiterate what some others have said. The HK 330 and the Denon 3803 are in completely different price ranges (the 330 can be had for half the cost of the 3803), and should not be directly compared.

A better comparison would be the HK 630 (or possibly the 430) against the Denon 3803.

If for some odd reason the original poster needs to choose between the 330 and the 3803 (regardless of cost), the 3803 is the superior AVR.

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a H/K 525 for $507 shipped from H/K's ebay store. There are a ton selling for around the same price. That's probably a good competitor to the 3803. I think they replaced it with the 630 this year. It's mostly cosmetic differences. The rears looks identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks