HK AVR330 v. Denon 3803 (Newbie about to purchase)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John_Griff, Jan 13, 2004.

1. John_Griff

John_Griff Stunt Coordinator

First, let me say thanks to everyone who helped me in the earlier thread. I appreciated you helping me trim my list.

Now, between these two, which is the best investment? I'm looking for one that I can "grow" into and slowly replace my speakers in the next few years. Any thoughts from you guys that might have seen both or purchased both in the past. Any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

OK, just a question for you - does it matter if you have 6 or 7 amplified channels? As you know, the AVR-330 has 6 amplified channels of power.

With that being said, the Feb/March 2004 edition of Sound and Vision magazine tested the H/K AVR-330. While the receiver is rated @ 55 watts x 6, it tested at 66 watts when 5 channels were driven. Once again, H/K gets a "cookie" for being honest about their power ratings.

Regarding the power output of the 3803, it should be in range of the AVR-330 - or slightly more. Even if the 3803 put out 72 watts with 5 channels being driven, you would not be able to hear this difference in power.

Now, it just depends on which one sounds better to you. Pick the one that you like - because many opinions will be introduced from other members that might throw you off a bit.

3. John_Griff

Thanks for the response. No, it really doesn't matter if I have 6 or 7 channels. I have also tested both and I like them both the same, that is why I've come on here to see if one might be a better "value" than the other that I should know about.

4. John S

John S Producer

In general I find the Denon build quality, and reliability to be higher.

Let us know which one you go for please....

5. John_Griff

I will, if I'm this confused over the receiver, I can't wait until its time for speakers! [​IMG]

6. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Get yourself the Denon. You can get it from 6ave.com for $648 shipped! You cannot beat that price.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

The H/K 330 is not in the same league as the 3803. By this I do not mean that it is not as good but they are at two different price points (msrp). I think to better compare the receivers you would have to look at the 430 or the 630. The Denon would fall between those 2. I personaly would go for the Denon as it can be had for a fantastic price on-line. The H/K is an excellent receiver, my friend has one and it does sound excellent. You will get more bang for your buck with the Denon though.

8. John_Griff

thanks for the opinions guys. It sounds like I should go with the Denon as I am looking for a receiver to "grow" into. Thanks fellas!

9. John_Griff

Perry, where do you see that price, 6ave has it for $1k.

10. Perry Jonkheer

Call them up and ask for a 3802... They will then promptly offer you the 3803 for $648!! I'm tellin ya, you can't beat it!

11. John_Griff

I just did, wow what a steal!! I only hope I can wait that long.

12. Perry Jonkheer

Yeah, sorry about that. I forgot to tell you about the wait. However, I think it is very much worth the wait. I just got my 3803 and I have to say it's one solid receiver.

Enjoy!

13. John_Griff

well good, now you can tell what speakers!

14. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

If you watch a lot of TV, then you'll probably want the HK for the Logic 7. Logic 7 works wonders on a stereo TV signal. I've heard Pro Logic II and Neo 6:Cinema and I don't think they sound as good for Television. For music, I like all three about the same, PLII, Neo6, and Logic 7. At PCMall, they have the HK 7200 (normally $1799.99) for $734.00 refurbished. That's what I would get.

15. Perry Jonkheer

I have Paradigm Studio 60s v.3

16. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

John, was it $648 or $699 at 6ave?

17. John_Griff

$696.06 to be exact!

18. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

The AVR330 has 7 channels, 7X55W. The Denon 3803 seems to have better build quality.

19. GregorySB

GregorySB Extra

Let me reiterate what some others have said. The HK 330 and the Denon 3803 are in completely different price ranges (the 330 can be had for half the cost of the 3803), and should not be directly compared.

A better comparison would be the HK 630 (or possibly the 430) against the Denon 3803.

If for some odd reason the original poster needs to choose between the 330 and the 3803 (regardless of cost), the 3803 is the superior AVR.

20. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I just got a H/K 525 for $507 shipped from H/K's ebay store. There are a ton selling for around the same price. That's probably a good competitor to the 3803. I think they replaced it with the 630 this year. It's mostly cosmetic differences. The rears looks identical.