What's new

HK-AVR225 - Noisy Monitor Out?? (1 Viewer)

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
My HK AVR-225 seems to have a noisy Composite Video Monitor Out and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem??

I have no video sources input to this receiver as I like direct connections to my Sony RPTV. Am using two optical and the tape inputs for audio.

So I can use my on screen setup I have a composite cable hooked up to the "Monitor Out" connection. This has always seemed to be somewhat noisy to me but when you go into the Output levels and the receivers internal test tones play there is at times alot of video distortion.

To cut down on the amount of cables between my cabinet and the TV, I recently ran a composite cable from the Monitor Out of the AVR to a back panel input on my Dish Network 811 HD receiver. You then can select to send this signal out your normal connection to the TV (S-Vid or DVI for me).
Hooking up a VCR composite out to the 811's composite input works fine.

The 811 dislikes the interference alot more than the Sony connected directly. Many times the video becomes so distorted you cant read the menu's and if you leave it on long enough I've had to reset the 811 to recover. (Video anomalies that don't clear up after the AVR is turned off)

I know I can set up everything from the front panel but I like the onscreen setup. Anyone have anything like this happen??

Thanks.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I have a Sony 32" Wega with my AVR 225 in my bedroom and don't notice any video noise nor with my AVR 325 and my Sony 46wt510. I use a monster cable surge protector with stage 2 line filtering which may help.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
can you explain this distortion in more detail? I just returned my newly purchased 225 (from harman audio refurb) because of video-out issues. Sometimes the OSD seemed "slanted".. like the letters were being pulled to one side.. just totally distorted...

also, during loud noises, the video would cut out all together -- im changing the recevier for the new 230 model.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I had a similar issue w/my AVR-225 but w/S-video. I was going through the AVR w/all my S-video components and there were horizontal lines on my display. Once I removed the S-video from the TV, it would go away. Composite works fine, so now I go direct to the TV w/my satellite (s-video) and use the AVR for composite switching (PS2 and VCR).

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
"can you explain this distortion in more detail?"

Carlos: My composite out is my only video out on my AVR-225 and I would not be using it with any video input.

When the problem starts its just like the image jumping and shifting around, if you keep using the video out it usually gets worse and sometimes particurly when using the AVR's internal test tones the video becomes so distorted you can't see anything at all.

Your comments about during loud noises seems to fit because the problem is worse when running the receivers internal test tones which of course make noise.

I haven't tried my S-Vid out so I don't know how it works, I'll try to get it hooked up and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks