What's new

HK AVR-7200 vs HK AVR-525 (2 Viewers)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Good post, Doug.

I'm curious about something though.

Denon rates/advertises the 3803 to run at 6 ohms; HK does not. Many hi-end speakers are 6 or 4 ohms. Why would HK NOT mention that it's "high end" receiver is capable of running these speakers? Isn't this killing your target market? :confused:

I have no experience with HK recievers. Just looking over the spec sheet, I'd be inclined to disqualify them from my short list specifically b/c the receiver is not rated from the factory for anything less than 8 ohms. You could and probably WILL void your warranty by running speakers the amp isn't spec'd to handle.

Yes, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here...I'm in the market (or will be soon) for a new receiver. I have to play D.A. ;)

Mark Russ

Second Unit
For that price range, I personally would short list the HK 7200, Denon 3803, Rotel 1055, and the NAD model. If you wanted to stretch that list a little, include Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, and maybe Marantz.
The HK 7200 produced 142 watts X 5 when measured by S&V, and it is far and away the most powerful receiver in that group.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
That's some nice power it puts out. :)

But the fact that it doesn't do video upconversion means I've got to switch inputs on my TV when switching b/t video sources AND buy additional cables to connect b/t the receiver and TV...not a MAJOR showstopper, but a PITA nonetheless.

Looking for some reviews/shootouts of $1K receivers.

Thira

Agent
Hmmmmm...lot to consider. Right now I am in the market for a new A/V unit. My system includes a 50" Panasonic plasma TV, two Monitor Audio S-10 mains, two Monitor Audio FXi fronts, two Monitor Audio S1 rears, Monitor Audio SLR center and a Velodyne HSG 18 subwoofer. The velodyne rep suggested the HK 7200 as it has superior base management.
I presently using a Yamaha DSP A1, with an Adcom power amp connected and driving 4 speakers around my pool area and two speakers in my living room for when I entertain. I do like the ability to drive separate rooms, especially during a Sporting event, when I can have the game on the plasma and play music outside.
So does the HK 7200 do the trick? Or the Denon, Rotel, or NAD?
BTW, I do have my Homw theater ready with wiring already in place for a third rear channel.
Thanks for the anticipated replies.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well, I just bought myself a new 3803 at a price that was a no-brainer. I know the amp section in the Denon definitely will not be the equal to the others that were on my "short" list (HK, NAD, and Rotel), and I also know that the analog pre-amp section probably isn't the equal to the NAD and Rotel (and maybe even the HK too), but I honestly feel that the pre-pro section in it for movies is the best in this price class, bar none. I've been wanting one of these since they came out, and now I've got one on the way. At the price I got it for, $620 shipped (from an authorized dealer at that), I don't think it could possibly be a mistake of gargantuan proportions, even in a worse case scenerio.
The HK 7200 and the Rotel 1055 could both be had for about $1000. I'm not really sure about the NAD though, but I suspect it would also be close to $1000 too.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Why would HK NOT mention that it's "high end" receiver is capable of running these speakers?"

Guessing:

Because they are more concerned with accuracy than inflated specs. Rating into 8ohms lowers the WPC rating, but has been the standard for good amps for many years. Lowering the impedance increases the ratings, but in lab tests and "in the field" the amps rated this way do not come anywhere close to what's posted. HK always does what it says it will do, including "with all channels driven". Almost no other mid-range receivers do this with any consistency. (Rotel, NAD, and a few others that cost more than HK, will usually meet their specs, but not Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc.)

Again, amplifiers aren't everything - especially in home theater. The way the audio and video are processed may be more important to one individual or another. It's frequently said that Denon is superior to HK in this regard. What an individual considers more important or better is what arguments...uh, discussions in this forum are usually about.

" I have no experience with HK receivers. Just looking over the spec sheet, I'd be inclined to disqualify them from my short list..."

My suggestion is that you listen to them first. They have a "warm" characteristic that really appeals to some. Their power can be quite impressive as well. They can handle speakers that are too demanding for most other receivers in their price range. However... There are those who hate the way they sound.

Personally, I like how HK's sound with music and that is more important to me than the home theater aspects. If I could get a similarly capable Denon for the same price as the HK (i.e., a 3803 for the same price as a 525) it would definitely be a tough decision. Denon makes a high quality product and their home theater capabilities are among the best.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Michael,

Still deciding on a receiver? I will probably incur some wrath for this, but so far (all five hours) I really love my Kenwood VR-5090. I know it's a couple years old, or is that a few? It does have all the latest formats, DPLII, DTS 6.1 matrix/discrete, NEO6, DD EX, as well as THX select if you like that. It also does upconversion to component, has seven digital inputs, all of which are both optical and coaxial, and a really well designed RF remote. Of course fancy remotes from Home Theater Master or Philips, et al, are all the rage right now, I have one myself. But this Kenwood is one I'd actually be happy to use as is, something I couldn't say for the Sony it replaced. This receiver also does HDCD decoding and MPEG multichannel decoding. It only has a 5.1 analog input, but 7.1 preouts. The best feature though, is the Bass Peak Level Manager. Maybe all the 'good' receivers have that and I have just missed it, but this feature rules! It has a subwoofer test tone you adjust so that your subwoofer is just getting into distortion. The receiver remembers that level and will not send a higher signal to the subwoofer than that. Works like a charm, no more worrying about my subwoofer cone shooting across the room. :)

Oh, and it's running four ohm speakers just fine, despite the 6 ohm ratings, although I am only running the center and two surrounds off the receiver's amps. I'm sure Doug's right about the ratings into 6 ohms though. Kenwood started doing this a ways back and have been ever since, whereas they used to rate into 8 and even 4 ohms. The owner's manual actually does specify a power rating for all channels driven, though, and that is 80 x 5 into six ohms (110 x 2 in stereo, also 6 ohms). Still kinda weak, but I have efficient speakers, and at -15 dB (goes to +10) I just can't take any more.

The bad part about this (and the other Sovereign receivers) is that it only has five channels of amplification on board. A little eBay purchase of a Legacy/Proton LUM-A1 or Kenwood KM-X1000 takes care of that for less than $300.

Cheers,

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks