Harman 525 VS Yamaha RX-V2400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PatrickDT, Feb 18, 2004.

1. PatrickDT

PatrickDT Extra

Here is my current dilema. I am in the process of completely revanmping my system Currently an older HK AVR300 on a set of Klipsch Quintets with the KSW-12 Subwoofer. Good system, easily the top of the 'cute' foodchain, but I want to move out of 'cute'. I also have the Klipsch SF-2 package on a Yamaha 5590 receiver with the 12 inch sub, but that's a different battle altogether, bare with me here.

I will either go modest on my budget, or completely break the bank, i haven't decided yet, but here are the possibilities. On the side of the receivers I am deciding between the Harman Kardon AVR-525 or the 7200 OR the Yamaha RX-V2400. On the speaker end I will go with either top end Klipsch synergy (Sf-2) of low end Klipsch reference. (RF-15). I am leaning towards the HK as they atre much warmer amps, and when we talk Klipsch, the speakers are plenty bright to begin with, and that is why I may go for the HK. The Yamaha has plenty of cool features I doubtfully would ever use (Component upconverstion, YPAO, etc.), but it is hailed as one of the best flagship consumer grade receivers out there. The reason it's even a toss up between the 525 or the 7200 HK, is because I honestly can't say I would need what more the 7200 has to offer with the speakers I'm using, but regardless I will more than likely take the 7200 if I go Reference, but if I stick with Synergy I will likely go with the 525 (Street price is arouns 500 and 900, respectively for the HKs, and closer to 800 on the Yamaha). I work at Best Buy, so Synergy is come buy farily easily for me, so I'm trying to justify if tyhe large price gap is worth it to make the jump to reference.

Do any of you fine connoisseurs of home theatre have any input on what I should do. Also, don't be bashful to tell me you don't like Klipsch if you have other suggestions for my range. I presonally, am a rather die hard fan, though. Thank you all

Patrick

2. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I auditioned the RX-V2400 and the AVR525 as well as the AVR330. I chose the Yamaha RX-V2400 because as soon as I heard it, the choice was obvious. The Yamaha is much better for HT, I think the H/K might be better for music though. Audition the Yamaha and H/K and decide which one you like best.

3. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    The "High Current" amp the H/K's have is hard to beat for music reproduction. IMO, they offer "Headroom" & "Depth" that's unmatched in it's price range, including the Yamaha. But, I do agree with MuneebM that if HT is your primary concern, the Yamaha is a better package.