What's new

HK AVR-630 a little light on low frequencies? (1 Viewer)

Matt:Brunmeier

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a Harman Kardon AVR-630 refurbished off Harman Kardon direct on ebay. I had heard decent enough things about them and honestly the receiver seems to work pretty well so far. With one exception:

I'm not getting much for sub 100hz frequencies. I don't have actual equipment to measure it, I'm just generalizing here.

I have it hooked up to 5 15" Selenium 15CO1P coaxial speakers in their recommended boxes - these bad boys:

I'm wondering if it's possible that they're just too much for the receiver to push? I really doubt that's the case, especially since I had them hooked up to my old Sony receiver and it did great.

Is this natural for this receiver? Is it just meant to be used with subwoofers? I have it set to no subwoofer so it's not that, but it is my first HK so there very well could be another setting I'm missing here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks if you can help..

Stunt Coordinator
All right quick observation - in the OSD it has an option for adjusting speakers by size and by x-over. If they're set to large is that the same as an x-over @ 100hz? If so maybe adjusting that would help.

I tinkered a bit and got it up to par, I had it set to no subwoofer but I didn't have the speaker sizes set. I guess I just never finished setting it up right. Oh well. Still - I think I could get a little more out of them.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I find many sony recievcer exagerrate the low end and work best with bright/forward speakers in general. This could be the difference. Those things can use all the power they can get no doubt about it, maybe they could use more power to drive them better.

Stunt Coordinator
That could very well be it. Like I said it's about on par with the sony right now, and there's really not much room for complaint.

I'm still a little bit curious about the x-over setting. If I have the sub off does it even use it?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the AVR and I am not sure about that one.

Most AVR manuals tell you to do both though. Turn subwoofer to none and speakers to large. So it must be pretty common for it to be like that.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Are you actually running the 5 15"s off of the receiver? So you have 5x 15" woofers and nothing else (no mids/tweeters)?

Are they hooked up to the speaker outputs? What do you have for inputs? Do you have the speakers set to LARGE (setting to small would enable crossover that would limit frequencies below crossover point).

Stunt Coordinator
they're not just woofers, they're full range coaxial speakers. And yes, I'm running them off the receiver.

They're set to large, so what you're saying is that the crossover setting shouldn't be affecting anything?

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
If they are full-range speakers, and you don't have any separate subwoofers hooked up to the subwoofer output, then set them all to LARGE. Set to SMALL, the low-end frequencies will be limited to the crossover point.

15" full-range coaxials, huh? Do they have tweeters mounted in the middle, like car speakers? A 15" woofer isn't going to go very high...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks