What's new

HK AVR-520 & Panasonic RV-31 compatibility problems? (1 Viewer)

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
As listed above my dvd player is a Panasonic RV-31 and my receiver is the AVR 520. I keep having the same problem with these two units.

Here is the problem I am having. When I start certain Dolby Digital 5.1 dvds, althouth the reciever recognizes the 5 channels it only plays the fronts two channels. But it does not redirect any of the center or surround channel info. So I can tell things aren't right instantly. To fix the problem all I have to do is break the connection from the dvd player to the reciever by any means neccesary. I can do this by selecting a different input source on the reciever then switching back to "DVD". Or I can pull the optical cable and then reconnect it. If I do any number of things all 5 channels will kick in as normal.

I thought it could be a hardware defect but I am quite sure it is not because I exchanged the reciever for a new one and tested it with my brother's dvd player(same model). Sure enough I kept having the same problem.

This problem only seems to occur with certain dvds. So far I have found; The Matrix, Pink Floyd The Wall, & Armaggedon are three I have found so far.

It's not that big of a deal and I will live with it but I wonder if I am the only one who has experienced this.

Rob

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my 520 last week and have been unable to really put it through its paces by watching any movies yet. I have a JVC DVD player, but I will throw in The Matrix & The Wall (maybe a bit later today) to test and make sure it is not something more than a compatibility issue with the 520 and the RV-31.

Thank you for bringing this up, though. I am also going to popp in Pearl Harbor sometime this weekend to see if there are any of the dreaded sudio drop-outs with my equipment.

--Scott

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried the DVD with other receivers? Could just be the DVD player... It does sound like some sort of compatibility issue though, since two players did the same thing.

How about the settings on the RV-31?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have the RV-31 hooked up to a Kenwood VR-407 with no problems. As soon as I upgraded to the AVR-520 I started noticing this problem. And I also tried two different 520s with two different RV-31s, leading me to believe its some sort of compatibility problem.

Rob

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Rob:

Maybe you changed the wrong unit. I had the Panasonic RV21, and although the RV31 is rated highly, I wonder how much better it is than the RV21 (which was horrible).

I cannot say what's causing the problem, but one of the units is confused. Either the H-K is not understanding the Panny, or vice versa, but my AVR520 does an excellent job of recognizing exactly what's coming its way and setting itself up accordingly. I never have to tell it anything, unless I want to over-ride the default "best" setting (it usually is the best, but I like to play with things).

Does the Panny offer coax out and have you tried that?

As a postscript, we did simultaneous optical and digital coax audio connections, then switched between the two. There is a difference in the quality and amount of sound that can be heard. I'll let you decide which you prefer, but maybe the coax would work better for you... and, could you have a cable problem, or connection problem? Have you tried swapping the cable?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
and, could you have a cable problem, or connection problem? Have you tried swapping the cable?
I am pretty sure when I tested the AVR-520 with my brothers RV-31 I also used his optical cable. I am not sure though so I will try that to be 100%(especially since his cable and dvd player are still at my house). I'll post again after I do with the results.

Thanks for thr help

Rob

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
I did a quick test with The Wall and The Matrix yesterday on a JVC M567GD DVD player (optical connection) and I did not notice any problems yet. Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

--Scott

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I tried using a different optical cable to no avail. I just wish I knew if it were a problem with the dvd player or the reciever.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks