What's new

HK AVR 325 manual seems to be up here --> (1 Viewer)

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Looks like the 325's manual's up
here
just click on owners manual.
Some highlights:
50W x 7/65W x 2, DD EX, independent x-over settings for front/center/rear, and check the note on when front speakers are set to large in stereo mode w/ analog sources.....
:)
Oh, yeah, the 525 doesn't seem to be up yet.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I also noticed the A-Bus connection, RS 232 port, and that the video (component) bandwidth was increased from 35 MHz to 50MHz. It also weighs 8 lbs more than the 320.

Phil

AndrewBest

Grip
Excellent! Thanks Nathan! Looks like a winner. I'd say it's going to give the Denon 2803 a run for its money.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, the remote still sucks...

Firewire is cool... as is 7 channels of amplification

7 channels of amplification is VERY cool

Only decodes analog and Dolby Surround (i.e. 2 channel) into L7. That was expected.

New Bass Management and specific crossovers are VERY VERY COOL...

No LFE adjustment?

Color me impressed though... wonder what they'll add to the 525?

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
"Harman Kardon's exclusive Logic 7 processing available for the first time with both 7.1 and 5.1 processing in a variety of modes, and two modes of VMAx."

Does this mean that it will take a 5.1 signal and covert it to Logic 7?

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Nevermind, I just re-read Steve's post right above me :)
Anyone know what the MSRP will be?

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
www.onecall.com has some info on the 525! Just go there and do a search for AVR525.
Cool stuff.
It even seems to suggest that it'll apply full Logic 7 to 5.1 sources! I hope that's true.
I'm a bit confused by what it says about bass management for DVD-A and SACD. It says "Bass Manager (Digital) for DVD Audio and SACD". Does that mean it converts the 5.1 analog input to digital before doing bass management?
It doesn't say anything about pre-outs/main-ins. I hope that's there...
Henning

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a little bit of info I found from TWICE.com...

Minneapolis— Harman Kardon introduced its first A-Bus-compatible receivers, its first receiver with digital Class D amplification, and other products during CEDIA's Expo.

All of the receivers are the brand's first with DD EX and DTS ES.

Three A-Bus receivers feature additional custom features, including RS-232 ports, IR input/output jacks, two-zone capability and assignable amplifier sections. The A-Bus port connects via CAT-5 cable to a remote in-wall amplifier/keypad that will be available from HK in early 2003. In the meantime, consumers can use other brands of A-Bus keypads.

The company entered the distributed-audio arena last year with a basic system consisting of an eight-channel amp controlled by an in-wall keypad.

The three receivers are the 7.1-channel $1,799-suggested AVR 7200, due in the winter; the $1,199 AVR 525 and the $899 AVR 325, due in October. The former two are HK's first with bass management for connected DVD-Audio and SACD players. The AVR 7200 adds second-zone video to the other two's second-zone audio.

All three feature Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo:6, Harman International's Logic 7/7.1/5.1 processing and Harman's VMAx virtual-surround processing. All feature ultrawide-bandwidth amplification and a three-crossover bass-management system that allows separate bass redirection points to be set for the front left/right, center and surround channels at one of six crossover frequencies. The AVR 7200 and AVR 525 extend this capability to connected DVD-Audio and SACD players.

Other features include wide-bandwidth, HDTV-compatible component video switching and preprogrammed learning remotes.

The compact DPR 1001 receiver, due in the fall at a suggested $1,499, is said to be the industry's first standalone receiver (vs. DVD-receiver) to incorporate digital amplification. It's rated at 7x50 watts at 8 ohms.

The 1001 offers all the decoding capabilities of the three aforementioned receivers as well as three-crossover bass management on all inputs, including DVD-Audio and SACD player inputs. The two-zone receiver also features assignable amplifier configuration and wideband component-video switching.

Also at the Expo, the company launched its first separately available speakers, complementing its home theater speaker packages. Two bookshelf models are priced at $249 and $349/pair. The two-way floorstanding tower is $249 each; the two-way center channel is $249, and the 12-inch 150-watt sub is $399. They ship in the fall.

Cooper_B

Agent
From the AVR 325 manual:

"In the 5.1 configuration, you may select the Logic 7/
5.1 Music, Cinema or Enhance mode. They work best
with two-channel music, surround-encoded programs
or standard two-channel programming of any type,
respectively. For 6.1/7.1 configurations, the Music and
Cinema modes may be selected. The Logic 7 modes
are not available when either Dolby Digital or DTS
digital soundtracks are in use."

So logic 7 is only for stereo inputs. But the bass features are good: independent X-over for fronts, center, & rears - 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, or 200Hz. Also lets you have a different bass setup (x-over points, sub setting) for each input, or you can use global settings. Nice, and should allow analog bypass w/sub out, like the Denons.

-Cooper

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Drats man! :)
When will either H/K do a $1000 receiver, or Lexicon a < $2k pre/pro, with L7 for 5.1 sources?
(Don't ask me why'd I'd spend up to $2k on a pre/pro, but refuse to pay more than a G for a receiver-as-a-pre/pro...)

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Well, that quote was from the AVR325 manual. My guess is that the AVR525 won't have it, but the AVR7200 will. But that's just a guess, of course.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind the HK 8000 online manual also says the unit can only do Logic 7 to stereo sources when in fact the 8000 *CAN* apply L7 to 5.1 sources (Dolby Digital, dts)

Harman Kardon has a bad history of mis-information in their manuals _ESPECIALLY_ in reference to Logic 7

The only way to know for sure if the 525 and 7100 lack L7 processing of 5.1 sources is to test them when they arrive.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Has there been any more info concerning the release date?
I've been shopping around for a new receiver and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the HK 325 and the Marantz 4300. I think I'll end up with whichever one hits stores first.;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I missed this, but did it say what the digital conversion bit depth/rate was for using the triple crossover on the 5.1 analog inputs was? I'd assume 192/24... The prices seem very reasonable.
No wonder all those sales on the 8000 were about. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks