HK AVR 225 vs. Onkyo TXSR 501

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by joe msm, Sep 1, 2003.

1. joe msm

joe msm Auditioning

I am hoping someone can offer some advice.
    We are currently having a new addition built. I am planning on setting up my first home theater. I just purchased the Sony Grand Wega KF-50XBR800. I have also purchased the Cerwin-Vega AVS 5.1 speakers. I will obviously purchase a DVD (progressive scan) and I have digital cable (which I will upgrade to a HD box).
    I have narrowed my receiver choices down to the HK AVR 225 and the Onkyo TXSR501.
    Can someone please offer some insight into the +'s and -'s of the two receivers and possibly make a recommendation.
    A few insights - upgrading to 6.1 over 5.1 isn't a big deal to me. Also, I am very concerned about finding an easy to use system because this will be a family unit.
    Thanks for any insight!!!
    Joe

2. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I like the Harmon Kardon 225 better than the Onkyo 501. IMHO, the Harmon Kardon beats the Onkyo by a wide margin on sound and build quality. The Onkyo does offer an unheard of feature set in a

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I currently own the AVR-225 and yes it does come with on On-Screen-Display which I never use anyway because the setup is so simple.

Onkyo 501 and 601 were two choices I was looking at before I had bought the 225 and the HK seemed so much better. Also, like Chris said the HK has a much better build quality as well as very high quality components, top of the line which is why a reciever with alot of basic features runs for more than most you will find.

I love my 225 and I am sure you will too if you purchase one. the Cerwin-Vega AVS 5.1 system isn't the best of the best but I am sure it will sound great with the HK AVR-225.