What's new

HK AVR 225 vs. Onkyo TXSR 501 (1 Viewer)

joe msm

Auditioning
I am hoping someone can offer some advice.
We are currently having a new addition built. I am planning on setting up my first home theater. I just purchased the Sony Grand Wega KF-50XBR800. I have also purchased the Cerwin-Vega AVS 5.1 speakers. I will obviously purchase a DVD (progressive scan) and I have digital cable (which I will upgrade to a HD box).
I have narrowed my receiver choices down to the HK AVR 225 and the Onkyo TXSR501.
Can someone please offer some insight into the +'s and -'s of the two receivers and possibly make a recommendation.
A few insights - upgrading to 6.1 over 5.1 isn't a big deal to me. Also, I am very concerned about finding an easy to use system because this will be a family unit.
Thanks for any insight!!!
Joe

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I like the Harmon Kardon 225 better than the Onkyo 501. IMHO, the Harmon Kardon beats the Onkyo by a wide margin on sound and build quality. The Onkyo does offer an unheard of feature set in a

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I currently own the AVR-225 and yes it does come with on On-Screen-Display which I never use anyway because the setup is so simple.

Onkyo 501 and 601 were two choices I was looking at before I had bought the 225 and the HK seemed so much better. Also, like Chris said the HK has a much better build quality as well as very high quality components, top of the line which is why a reciever with alot of basic features runs for more than most you will find.

I love my 225 and I am sure you will too if you purchase one. the Cerwin-Vega AVS 5.1 system isn't the best of the best but I am sure it will sound great with the HK AVR-225.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks