What's new

HK 525 Multi Room but not digital source? (1 Viewer)

Gus Smith

Grip
I have an HK 525 and have recently acquired a second pair of speakers that I have connected to the zone 2/ surround back jacks on the back of the receiver.

I have been able to listen to multiple sources in the two zones but I'm not able to listen to the co-axial digital input or the optical digital input devices in zone 2. I can only here the analog input devices.

Is this normal (ie extremely dissapointing) or do I have some other problem.

Thanks.
Gus.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I think multizone only does 2 channel analog sources. I tested this on my 325 and got the same results. I couldn't hear a CD played on my DVD player until I added the analog outputs to the receiver.

I guess it makes a little since because you only have L/R channels in the multizone and wouldn't use any DSP's. It's not a big deal to me since the DVD player is the only device I use with digital outputs. My TV, VCR, MD and CD player all use analog outputs. It was simple enough to add one more cable.

How does multizone work on other brands receivers? Is this standard or not?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I think multizone only does 2 channel analog sources.
That is a correct statement. However, to get around it, just us a pair of RCA cables to connect from the DVD/CD player to your receiver. You will then be able to play music via the analog source through the receiver to your 2nd zone.

This is the same thing that my AVR-7200 does. I thought this was a big deal at first, but it isn't.

Gus Smith

Grip
Glad to hear that it's 'normal' and not a defect.
It's a little frustrating as I use digital for my directv, cd player, and dvd player.
I don't care so much about DVDs in zone 2 but I plan on listening to the Directv music stations and my cd changes almost exclusively in zone 2.
I don't mind going with the analog cables so much either but I have already assigned the optical and digital inputs to 'CD', 'DVD', and 'Sat/TV' on the receiver.
I guess I'll make CD the true analog CD and the optical connection from the cd player will be video 4 or something.

Oh well. It's still a cool feature.

Thanks for the input!

Gus Smith

Grip
Can anyone tell me what I need to get in order to place an IR sensor in zone 2???

I'm assuming it's a small sensor on the end of a long wire that plugs into the back of the HK 525. If so, where can I find one?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Gus, you don't have to reassign your inputs when adding the analog cables. I left all my settings the same and just by plugging in the analog cables to the same input, the multizone outputs picked it up. In other words, leave all your digital inputs assigned to whatever they were, and just plug in the analog cables. Nothing else needs to be done.

You'll have digital sources for your main room and analog for the multizone.

Check it out, its pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks