What's new

HITB with sub out? (1 Viewer)

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
My father-in-law asked me a question the other day, and I couldn't think of an answer for him. He wants to put an inexpensive HITB system together for their bonus room, and already has a nice seperate powered sub. Do any HITB receiver/DVD combo's have sub pre-outs? In researching a few of them, none have this feature listed. Can you guys think of any? Thanks in advance.
JP

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I'm sure most if not all the HTIB have sub pre-outs. Most of them come with some sort of sub, so they would have to have one. My first HT was a Kenwood HTIB, and it had a sub pre-out, and I got that over 2 years ago.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Paul,
I think that the traditional receiver-based (full-size) models probably do, but the newer models I've looked at seem to have the "digital" amps (Class D, H, etc.) inside the small receivers and power the small sub with these. Some even seem to have proprietary cables as sort of an "all-in-one" cable solution.

Anyone else?

JP

SeanWillis

Agent
Does your powered sub have a line in/out connection? (push tabs or posts for speaker wire) If so, you don't need the sub out. Connect your sub to the receiver via the left and right main out to the line in connection on the sub. Then connect your left and right mains to the sub via the line out connection. Set your sub to off and mains to large. No bass info is lost. The LFE channel will be redirected to the mains. This link has some diagrams for you:

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/...cle=bassmanage

Cheers,

Sean

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

That was my initial thought before I actually went looking at really cheap HTiBs. The better ones based around a "real" receiver, will have most all the necessary connections and a powered sub. The really cheap ones, however, will not. They have speaker outputs for all the speakers, including the un-powered sub, which just reeks of crappiness. If you are looking for a more substantianl HTiB, then it most likely will have sub out. The only way to find out is to look and see.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Chris,
I guessed as much. The biggest problem in auditioning any is that W-W is a very small town, with basically no choices (which you probably know, being that you also live in WA.)
Jim

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Hmm...

Well, actually, I've never been to Walla Walla, or for that matter anywhere in Eastern Wa. It scares me over there :P. jk. Well, if all you are looking for is a HTiB, and store that sells them should be able to answer your questions, or have one on display. Even the Best Buy-type bozos should be able to help you out, especially since they are probably just sitting around waiting for customers.

Although, if ever you're on a trip over near Seattle, it's a GREAT place to look for audio stuff. Since you're only looking at HTiB for someone, it's not a biggie, but if you ever are looking for good stores, right near where I live there's a street with about 5 dealers in a two-block stretch that all carry nice stuff. Some extremely nice equipment around too. It'd be worth a trip just to sit back and listen to a reference Mark levinson rig, or Mcintosh, etc. I can imagine it's hard to find those kinds of dealers in Walla walla.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
My Sony DAV-300 has an output for a sub, but hooking up a powered sub doesn't seem to do diddly squat, as the passive sub still seems to be getting most of the LFE. When I unplug the passive sub, the powered sub does get a *little*
bit, but to hear it you have to have your ear literally pressed against it. I have found no settings anywhere that would allow me to send the LFE channel completely to the powered sub, so said sub currently resides with another cheapie bedroom HTIB I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks