What's new

"High And The Mighty", "Island In The Sky", Hondo & McLintock on DVD (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
It really hurt when I caught the intro to HONDO when it ran on TCM today. During the intro, the host spoke of "..how viewers originally had to wear those red & blue 3-D glasses."

Can someone inform TCM that ALL of the major Hollywood 3-D features in the 1950's originally used the far superior dual projector polarized 3-D process?

MarkMAD

Auditioning
Thank you GregK!
The host you are talking about does not have near the knowledge of Robert Osborne.

GregK

Screenwriter
Here are the early specs for the upcoming HONDO DVD-

Not in 3-D. 83 min. Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English; audio commentary; "making of" documentary; featurettes; theatrical trailer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always thought "Hondo" was filmed in a widescreen format. I remembered seeing it on AMC or TCM in widescreen some years ago.

Crawdaddy

MarkMAD

Auditioning
I watched Hondo about every time it aired on TCM and AMC and never saw it letterboxed.
I don't know of many early 3-D films that were done in the widescreen process.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm hoping my mind was just playing tricks on me. What little researched I've done on this film, indicates a 1.37:1 ratio.

Speaking of early 3-D films, I wish Warner would release "The Charge at Feather River" which is one of my favorite westerns from my more youthful days.:)

Crawdaddy

MarkMAD

Auditioning

Yeah, I've remembered stuff like that also. I would have an old tape from TCM and swear it was letterboxed and then find the tape and see it wasn't. I guess we are showing our age! :b

I found a person that has "Feather River" on DVD, but not sure about the quality. I remember seeing it on TV way back when.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

All of the early 1950's 3-D titles were filmed in the 1.37:1 format but, many were masked to 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 when projected and advertised as being in wide-screen.

MarkMAD

Auditioning

Warner did it on Laserdisc and VHS, but they don't seem eager to do a DVD release. Trouble Along the Way is another Wayne movie they did on LD, but no DVD.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
Do we know yet what extras might be on McLlintock? I'm especially interested in who might be involved in an audio commentary. It'd be great if Maureen O'Hara was involved in that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

In fairness to Warner, "Big Jim McLain" is another Wayne-Fellows production which means Warner doesn't have the dvd rights to it. I would think that down the road, Paramount has plans for that title.

As far as "Trouble Along the Way", this is a film made and distributed by Warner so the dvd rights is probably theirs.

Crawdaddy

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Apparently Jim McLain is not part of the deal. Here's the titles that Paramount will release:

My question is where did they come up with 63 Wayne titles owned by Paramount? I guess it also includes Republic films that will go back to Paramount in 2006.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I wouldn't be too sure about that for the simple reason that every title covered in this agreement might not of been specifically mentioned in this particular press release. In time, we'll know for sure, but one thing is certain and that is "Big Jim McLain" doesn't belong to Warner.

Crawdaddy

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I happened to look up both Hondo & McLintock! at Amazon.com today and it's the first time I've seen them list what the extras are.

Hondo--Commentary by Leonard Maltin, western historian Frank Thompson & Lee Aaker, Special Introduction by Leonard Maltin, The Making of Hondo, Profile: James Edward Grant, The Apache, The John Wayne Stock Company: Ward Bond, From the Batjac Vaults, Original Trailer, Batjac Teaser, Photo Gallery.

The John WAYNE Stock Company? I always thought it was the John FORD Stock Company. Ah well...

McLintock!--Commentaries by Leonard Maltin, Frank Thompson, Maureen O'Hara, Stefanie Powers, Michael Pate, Michael Wayne, and director Andrew V. McLaglen; Special Intro by Leonard Maltin, The Batjac Story: The Legacy of Michael Wayne, Maureen O'Hara and Stefanie Powers remember McLintock!, A Good Ol' Fashion Fight, 2 Minute Flight School, Wrap-Up With Leonard Maltin, Corsets: Don't Leave Home Without It, Original Theatrical Trailer, Batjac Teaser.

I think these compare favorably with what were in the first two films and I was hoping Miss O'Hara would be involved and am overjoyed to see that she is.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

John Wayne started using the same actors, directors, writers, and cinematographers from the 50's thru the 70's....especially when the film was made thru his production company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks