What's new

Hey MAME people, help me get started please (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I've read a little about it and even downloaded a few game Roms and MAME32, what do I need to do from here?
I know it's a real general question but I can't find an answer to my first question...
Once I d/l the MAME32.zip file do I just create a MAME directory under my C: drive?
I understand the roms and samples then need to go in their respective folders under the directory MAME32 is installed in but how do I actually run a game?
My current PC is runnin Win2K, any know issues I should be looking for?
Also, if there is some type of "MAME for Dummies" website out there I'd really appreciate the address.
Thanks in advance,
Brian
I can't wait to play older games like DIG DUG on my PC. :emoji_thumbsup:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Extract MAME to the directory of your choice. c:mame is always a good start.

Drop the ZIPS of any roms into the c:mameroms subdir. DON'T unzip them.

Drop other files into their respective directories.

To run, run the mame program. Tell it to 'audit all games' every once in a while, after you've grabbed some roms. Then simply select the ROM you'd like.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Look in Mame32's readme for the Mame32 homepage, which has a section that shows recommended video settings and the like. Also, the readme will probably answer all your questions as to how to run the games.

Oh, and I don't know if I should give the address here (which is basically the same as the name of the site), but be sure to visit and bookmark mame.dk. It's truly the only MAME site you'll ever need.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
however if you do use mame . dk [rant]donate![/rant] the site is run on donations.

yes, I have, and will again soon.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks all for the replies.

Andy, I saw your MAME cabinet before and that's some great work.

I think if I get into over the months/years I consider building a dedicated stand-up MAME cabinet.

My Dell PC runs Win2k SP2, Pentium III 450 processor, 13 gig HD, Voodoo3 video card, Yamaha Sound Card, 228mb PC100 of memory, quiet key keyboard and 17" Dell flat screen monitor (all about 3 years old)... will I have any problems running MAME software?

Approximately how much does a typical empty cabinet and basic controls cost?

Thanks Again,

Brian

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
MAME will run fine, you might just have problems with some of the higher requirement games :)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Well I got it to work and so far have d/l about 10 ROMs to games like Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and aero fighter.

Seems to be working okay so far but I'm having difficulty with some games using just my computer's keyboard.

Is a regular computer type game controller going to work with MAME?

Is there any particular controller I should by unitl I decide to go full tilt and build a cabinet? (I'm a long way from that)

Thanks again for all the info.

Brian

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Thanks Brian, let me know how it goes for you! I think that'd be pretty neat! I wouldn't mind playing a few atari games again! :)

Hugh M

Second Unit
this is pretty cool, and not that hard to set up...

I haven't gotten into it all the way with the controls and stuff, but at first glance it is definitely a cool item to have on the PC.

the entertainment factor of having hundreds of atari games on the pc, and to have them available through a jukebox like interface is great for parties and family.

thanks for the info, never thought this thing existed before.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I don't know if this should be another post but...

I ended up going with dos MAME and have got it to work ok.

The problem I'm runnig into now is which frontend to use.

ArcadeOS seems to be getting some really great reviews lately.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

One thing while playing games currently under dos MAME is the picture is being streched to fit my entire 17" monitor screen at (1024 X 768) which seems to be pixelating (sp?) and distorting the video playback of each and every game.

What can I do to correct this?

Will a frontend like ArcadeOS have settings to control this?

I'm also interested in purchasing a gamepad, which one do you use?

Some people have reported problems while using USB gamepads with dos MAME, should I get a regular ol' game port controller?

Thanks for any and all help.

Brian

Andy_S

Second Unit
ArcadeOS is a great MAME front end. That's what I use in my MAME box. In fact, it boots right into ArcadeOS since I don't need Windows to run DOS MAME.

It has a ton of settings that can be adjusted. Read the Readme file for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks