What's new

Help with THX-EX on Onkyo 898 (1 Viewer)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I just rented the Star Wars Episode-I on DVD. I selected Surround 5.1 EX in the DVD menu and my receiver is set on THX-EX Auto. However, when I play this movie, the receiver does not go into the THX-EX mode. It stays in the Dolby-THX mode. Any suggestions as to what may be going wrong?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Nick,
If you set the receiver to "Surround" does it automaticly
play Dolby-Digital when you use a D-D or DTS encoded DVD?
The reason I ask is that if your DVD Player is not set up
correctly to output D-D/DTS then it may be set to PCM and
that would cause it not to detect a Dolby Digital or DTS
Signal and then it would just play THX-Cinema (This is what
my DS787 was doing) when I set the DVD Player correctly to
output the Dolby Digital and DTS Signals then it worked fine.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Nick,
Click here for a thread that discusses the same thing for Onkyo 989s. It may be applicable to your 898.
Apparently some DVDs aren't flagged correctly for the auto function to choose processing modes properly... and Star Wars is one of them.
------------------
--RR

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Brett,
I do have my DVD player setup correctly and I do see 3/2.1 when I hit the display key. It's just for some reason that the receiver does not go in the THX-EX mode.
Rick, I will check that link out. However, I did force THX-EX and it sounded just awesome. Like you said, it must be a flag issue.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Derek, it must be definitely a flag issue on "TPM" DVD. I have no problems with any DTS-ES DVDs, i.e., Gladiator and Chicken Run. The receiver goes into the DTS-ES Discrete mode just fine. However, I haven't yet come across one dd-EX DVD which has the EX flag.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I noticed that TPM doesn't have the EX flag. What I don't understand is TPM is the movie that EX was developed for and even that doesn't have the flag.

Tim M

Auditioning
i was told that seven special edition was flaged for ex but only in region 4, i tried region 1 it was not flaged
tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks