What's new

Onkyo vs. Integra...help me decide! (1 Viewer)

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello all.

Okay, pretty much got it down to a receiver from this company. Now, I need to decide on which one.

On the Onkyo side, I have the 797 or the 898 to pick from. If I am not mistaken, both have DPLII, THX, EX, ES and NEO. The only difference is the extra driven channel in the 898, right? At any rate, they easily fall into my $1500 range.

But what if I go to the Integra line? I have no idea what receivers like the DTR 8.2 costs...have no local vendor nor have not found a site selling them via web. I have to imagine that it will be over my budget range, but it sure does have most everything I could want.

Are Integras overpriced in terms of their Onkyo cousins? Or do they really have features/performance to merit the extra cost?

Thanks for any input!

Dave_K

Auditioning
I'd say get the Integra. The build quality is nicer than Onkyo, and they don't cost much more than their comparable Onkyo receiver. I purchased an Integra over the Onkyo because hey, it was listed at only $100 more, and my shop hooked me up with it for cheaper than the Onkyo anyway.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
If I were you I would go with the Denon 3802 from 6th ave for 699.00. Take the extra 800.00 that you said that you have to spend and get either a 5 channel parasound or a rotel and you will have a setup that will blow away even the Integra 9.2 in terms of sound and "true" power. I had a Onkyo 898 and kept it for about a month as I just wasn't impressed with the sound quality of the receiver. I liked the ergonomics of the receiver but to me the sound was thin at high volumes. Just my opinion.

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
While I love my Integra Research RDC-7 I can't help thinking it is the same as any Onkyo. This belief was strengthened during the recent upgrade ordeal. The repair Center kept calling it a Onkyo RDC-7 and when I encountered problems with the upgrade I was directed to regular Onkyo customer support.

Onkyo does not seems to know how to market their upscale brands like Toyota does with Lexus. While they may have some better quality components inside I would save the cash and buy Onkyo.

Frank

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Arvin,

Can you give us what type of speakers and equipment you use. Also are more into HT or Music? I think it would help on determining the best receiver for you.

But I would also consider the Denon 3802 like Bob said. I have owned mine since December 2001 and simply love its features & processing power. I have recently added an ext amp, Parasound 1205A and now I'm in heaven. I finally feel satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks