Help with rear speaker placement in this room (with diagram)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason_Chen_LA, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Jason_Chen_LA

I'm in the process of setting up a 5.1 HT surround system. Here is a diagram of the room size and layout:

http://www22.brinkster.com/seafan/temp/ht.jpg

with the position of TV and sofa shown in the diagram, the brick fireplace next to the sofa presents the problem. from what I read, the ideal position for surround speakers is about 2-3 feet above ear level, on the side, which is position #5 and #6. this would work if the speakers are monopole, but the surround speakers that go with the fronts maybe bipolar speakers.

In that case, Position #5 would not work - it's right next to the brick wall of the fireplace. because of the open doorway#1, the next possibility is Position #3 & #4, which are 4 feet behind the sofa - is that too much behind the listening position for bipolar speakers? and for P#3, the sound waves would hit the fireplace brick wall 4 feet away on one side, and the open doorway #4 on the other - would that be a problem?

or, I could put them above open doorway #1 (7 feet high), at position #7, and P#8 on the other side. would that be too high? would P#7 too close to the brick wall (2 feet)?

Position #1 & #2 would be the back wall, and none of the info I got so far suggests to put bipolar speakers on the back wall.

Given the configuration of this room, should I avoid bipolar speakers all together, and get a pair of monopole speakers so I could put them on the sides of listening position?

thanks!

Jason

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

You pic is not accessible.

3. Jason_Chen_LA

4. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

7-8 or 3-4

5. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

Actually 3-4 is what I'd do. Back wall is no good. Don't want em too high over door and next to that fireplace is no good either.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve never heard a system where the rears where directly to the sides of the seating that sounded right. The sound is exactly like the layout – all to the sides and out in front. To me it’s not surround sound, and not enveloping, unless the rears are actually behind you.

I'd go with 3&4, and maybe angle them towards the sofa.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt