What's new

HELP with new HTB 504 setup (1 Viewer)

I have everything setup on my new(and 1st) system and I am not getting anything out of my center speaker. I can hear a hiss so it is getting power. I used both my 14 gauge speaker wire as well as the wire that shipped with the unit. Do I need to do anything special to get it to work? I am only listening to thye TV right now (Olympics!) but I should still here the center speaker right??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You will only get sound out of the center speaker if you are playing a Dolby ProLogic or Dolby Digital source, or if you turn on one of the DSP modes (Jazz/Hall/etc.)

Yes, the Olympics claim to be using "Dolby Surround", but you must be sure to have the audio feed coming into the receiver be stereo.

Do you have L/R cables for the "TV" input?

Yes I tried setting the reciever to one of the DSP modes and it did not help. Yes I have left and right audio going out from my TV and into the kenwood.

Any othe ideas?

Vin

Supporting Actor
Did you set the center channel to ON in the receiver's speaker set-up procedure?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If a DVD works with the center, everything is hooked up ok. My guess is that your TV is not passing along ProLogic encoding to your receiver.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
It does sound as if you TV isn't passing the pro-logic out on the RCA jacks (which TV do you have by the way?). Try using the tuner in your VCR to tune the channel and use the RCA jacks out of the VCR into your receiver and see if you get center channel information.

If this doesn't work, then maybe your cable station is only passing stereo.

I am suddenly getting sound out of the center speaker while my son is watching the spanish soccer channel. I have a Proscan 32" TV. The reciever says it is on Pro Logic. I do not think I changed anything but I must have??

Thanks for the advice. It still may have been user error on my part. This is my first system. One last question. It seems the volume is much lower when I listen to the TV than when I listen to a DVD. Is this normal? I can turn the volume up and it is more than loud enough but if I suddenly switch to DVD it will blow the windows out. Shouldn't they all play about the same loudness?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
What type of audio outputs are you using from the tv, Fixed or Variable? Variable audio outputs let you use the tv's remote to control the volume going to the receiver. If this is what you are using turn the volume up on the tv set or switch the audio outputs to FIXED but with fixed audio outputs you can only use the receiver to control the volume level. To change the tv's audio outputs to fixed or variable you will have to go into the Proscan tv's menu system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks